Hitman

My second pork shoulder adventure

Hitman - Like you I was skeptical of any price at Wegman's being cheaper than at my local Costco. They are, sort of... The Costco meat is boneless so I guess they think that is worth a touch more. I don't. Boneless meat means you have to tie it. PITA. Wegman's has bone-in pork shoulder (Boston Butt, insert your name for it here) and it is .99 cents a pound! No tying and the bone comes out so clean, you will not know it was even there! Wegman's is closer, meat cheaper, and no strings - Perfect!

Let us know how you make out!

Hitman - Like you I was skeptical of any price at Wegman's being cheaper than at my local Costco. They are, sort of... The Costco meat is boneless so I guess they think that is worth a touch more. I don't. Boneless meat means you have to tie it. PITA. Wegman's has bone-in pork shoulder (Boston Butt, insert your name for it here) and it is .99 cents a pound! No tying and the bone comes out so clean, you will not know it was even there! Wegman's is closer, meat cheaper, and no strings - Perfect!

My dog would hate me if I ever came home with a boneless pork butt.

100_2639.jpg

My dog would hate me if I ever came home with a boneless pork butt.

100_2639.jpg

Poooor little Chubby... :(

Hey Curly - do you ever worry about giving your dog pork bones? My understanding is that dogs can eat beef bones' date=' but not pork or chicken. Although, the farm dogs I was raised with ate them all and seemed to do just fine![/quote']

No, I've always given him all kinda bones. He chews them up like they are noodles.

I've heard many things about bones and dogs...like don't give a dog anything to eat that you wouldn't eat. But I truly would not eat half of the stuff he drags home so I don't pay a lot of attention to them. Yes, he eats chicken bones too. He may choke and die, but he's gonna go a happy camper if he does. I wonder if when a dog or wolf or fox kills a chicken if they eat the bones :D Lots of great stuff in that marrow!!!

He is definately a country (not a farm) dog.

He looks smaller in that picture because he always sits on the porch with his front paws down on the next step. His head would be up there with mine if he brought his paws up to the porch.

bones revisited

The only problem I have had with the dogs eating bones is that they get up in the middle of the night and puke up the eaten bone mush all over the bedroom floor. One time Biggles went over to the neighbors and made a snack of one of their chickens. The only thing left was two chicken feet and one feather, neatly arranged on the porch. He survived, fatly, bones and all!

cooked bones are brittle & can splinter

I was always told the problem was that cooked bones are brittle and can splinter into very sharp pieces.. In the street markets here they have this habit of chopping a full cooked chicken with a massive cleaver..

This shatters the bones leaving very sharp, very dangerous pieces of bone. I'm always afraid of cutting my mouth just eating the meat off them.

This has to be the danger.. You could definitely draw blood with some of them.

I fiqured by now we'd have a big lecture from Gerard :eek: With pictures and explanations from animals he'd done the surgery on after they bout died from eating the bones.

Or, as in Sanny's case, where the dog almost killed you for coming near their precious bone :oops:

Funny video of dog protecting his bone from his hind leg!

Gnaw on this!

One of the best chew toys you can give your dog is an antler. They will consume a rawhide in a few minutes, but chew on an antler for months. When it gets small enough to be a choking hazard, take it away. I cut the prongs off so they can't flip one back into their eye while chewing, you just want one linear piece. You can just walk around and find shed antlers, or ask hunters to give you some. They last forever and your dogs absolutely love 'em! Unfortunately, if you have more than one dog, they will set up one hell of a ruckus trying to take them away from each other. And don't think you can solve that by giving them each their own, doesn't work.