T Rex

First Pork Butt on the KK

Well, after thinking about it for a couple of days, I decided that I should attempt my first Pork Butt. I fired up the KK around 6:30 pm and put the Butt on at 7:00 pm with the Guru set at 225F for the Pit and 195F for the Butt. I didn't check up on it until 7:00 am the next morning and the temperature was dead on at 225F and running like a top. At 12:00 I took the Butt off at 193F, wrapped it in foil, a towel and placed it in a cooler I had warmed with hot water until I pulled/chopped it around 5:00 pm that afternoon. I used Wicked Good Charcoal and I wouldn't be surprised if the KK could of gone on for many more hours.......... :D:D

So, here are a few pictures..... I forgot to take one before placing the Butt on the KK however here was the outcome:

The KK all set up at 7:00 pm

20100228_0974.jpg

I think this was at 7:00 am the next day

20100301_0978.jpg

The Butt after something like 18 hours on the KK

20100301_0981.jpg

The Butt after resting in the cooler for something like 5 hours

20100301_0984.jpg

The Butt after being pulled/chopped up

20100301_0989.jpg

The reason you want to buy a Komodo Kamado

20100301_0988.jpg

I feel an obligation to thank the forum members for walking me through the entire Pork Butt routine via their posts and Dennis for making such a great cooker!

I am still getting allot of resistance from Mrs. T Rex on the serving plate and something tells me it may get retired after 32 years of great service! :(:(:(

T Rex

Looks nice. Next time try and bump the temp to 250. It will cook a bit faster and in my experience yields a better result. Also try experimenting with injections' date=' mustard etc. Lots of fun.[/quote']

Thanks cruzmisl I will definitely try it at 250F next time and hopefully cut the cook time down. I slathered the Butt pretty good with Frenchs' Mustard before applying the rub and the flavor was very good. My next attempt will also involve an injection as well. :) As someone on this site suggested, I have ordered the Chris Lilly cook book from Amazon and look forward to learning some new secrets.

T Rex

I understand where she's coming from, T-Rex. But you might want to show her that picture of the pulled pork. The green leaves of placemat make that plate much more appealing. Maybe if you promise only to use the plate with the placemat..... ;)

Susan

Re: presentation

I like that plate!

Hey Mguerra, now all you have to do is convince Mrs. T Rex ;););)

You have to know "when to hold them and when to fold them" and I don't think that I am holding a winning hand...... ;)

T Rex

I'm with you, reluctantly surrender the plate and then when you need another big toy (maybe another cooker) you can remind here of the sacrifice.

First Pork Butt EVER!

Rather than start a new topic, this one ('First Pork Butt on the KK') seemed perfectly fitting for us as well.

Neither my husband nor I have ever cooked with charcoal prior to buying our KK and we've certainly never cooked a pork butt - which turns out to be a shoulder?

Anyway, we read Cruzmisl's tutorial to get some instruction and then improvised.

Step1: rubbed a 6.5 pound butt and let sit overnight in fridge - uncovered

Step2: forgot to pull it out to bring to room temp

Step3: started a full basket of lump at 8am

placed heat deflector on basket

drip pan with foil on lower grate

stabilized the temp at 250°

Step4: placed butt on main grate around 8:30am and let cook for 9 hrs

Step5: drained fat from drip pan and made a sauce with the fond,

broth, wine, and butter - next time I'll add honey so it's more

like a BBQ sauce.

For us, this was the best way to learn about charcoal and the KK temp control process. We played around quite a bit with the top and bottom dampers to see how the temps would change with the slightest turns. We also learned that as long as you do a proper preheat and keep your temperatures fairly stable, you don't really get that ashy charcoal smoke - that has been my biggest fear of charcoal.

Anyway, we were very happy with the results, but do look forward to making more and perfecting our process - next time lower temp and more hours. And the time after that, we want to try beef shortribs. I'll check the forum for advice.

The funniest part is my husband's almost uncontrolled desire to open the lid and look at the meat. Does Stokker make a probe with a camera? :lol:

7JJ2i.jpg btle9.jpg Gidget says she likes our new KK too!

P.S. - luckily a couple we're friendly with was able to join us for Saturday dinner. Tim brought over this amazing BBQ sauce that he gets when he goes back home to Kentucky each October. LeBayou Gourmet BBQ Sauce - yummers! And for the wine lovers, this meal was paired with a 2002 Stryker Sonoma County Cabernet, 2004 Steltzner Stags Leap Merlot, and 2005 BV Tapestry Reserve Napa Valley - yep that's three bottles for three wine drinkers! :wink:

Butts are THE BEST KK food!

The main thing on a pork butt is the finish temp, not the hours of cooking. 185-200 finish temp will work. You'll be surprised that they cook very well at any temp from 225-300! They don't have to be very low and very slow. But a really long low and slow is fun and emotionally rewarding, plus a great conversation/ bragging item!

I would suggest we have a section titled "My First Butt", but the board might get confused with an entirely different forum :twisted:

glad to see that some folks also use the proceeds from the drip pan. i think that melted fat has SO much flavor, it just seems a shame to waste it. i just pour about 1/2 of it straight into the meat after pulling.

and, while sauce is nice, it's so hard to beat a big pile of sweet chow and some vinegar on top of that pork sandwich!

"Dear Komodo Forum: I remember my first pork butt like it was yesterday..."