Loquitur

How long do you cook ribs?

My family is not big on ribs so they are not part of my KK repertoire. But I'm interested in how to cook them and read posts about it and was of the impression that spare ribs would take about 5 or 6 hours actually on the grill, lo and slow, without including any prep time, maybe even 7 hours on the grill.

On the BBQ Pitmasters show last night, the main ingredient was spare ribs and the contestants were given 6 hours to do the ribs from start to finish - trim them, rub them, marinade them, inject them, etc. Nobody complained about only have 6 hours, at least they didn't complain on TV, and they weren't rushing around and some talked about marinting them and then cooking them lo and slow - 225 to 250.

Does that sem like a short cook time to anybody else? I must admit, they sure did look mighty tasty!!

Susan

6-7 hours at 220-230 is what I usually shoot for, but those are standard spare ribs (usually St. Louis trimmed), not baby backs.

That yields racks that are almost falling off the bone, but which have just a little bite left.

I usually do three large racks at a time, which just fills the main grill.

Cheers,

Mike

We should be clear in noting that the Pit Masters are all cooking baby back ribs. Four hours is plenty of time in the KK (and no foil necessary) to get 'em done right. Now there are variables. Ribs should be at room temperature when they are put on the KK AND the KK should be heat-soaked when the ribs go on. My magic number on the Guru (if I end up using it) is 237 degrees. I don't open that lid for four hours after they are put on. No mopping, turning, peeking, nothing! Then I remove the heat deflector, crank up the KK to about 350 and glaze with one of my favorite sauces. I put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the ribs and thicker layer on the top. Let them sit in there for another five minutes after glazing and put them on the plate. I typically let the ribs rest for 5 - 10 mins and dig in!

Let us know how you make out! 8)

I use the Big Bob Gibson book that says 250 for 4 hours indirect. They turn out great every time...

I put on the rub while the grill is heating up. once I put the ribs on I shut the lid and leave the grill alone for four hours. Then I shut it down put on some sauce and let them cook for another 5 minutes.

Tony

• Like 1

Rib bounce test..just want cracks and a little tearing..

When you get ready to take your first peek and check for done-ness.. That is a BBQ term yes?

I grab the ribs from the side with a my tongs.. grabbing about 40% of them.

I do a gentle bounce.. if undercooked they will be ridgid..

They are ready when they just start to tear from the bounce..

Tearing and breaking is a bit too far..

You just want cracks and a little tearing.

This will give you bite and still pull clean off the bone..

;);)

We should be clear in noting that the Pit Masters are all cooking baby back ribs. Four hours is plenty of time in the KK (and no foil necessary) to get 'em done right. 8)

Really, Conodo??? Those were babyback ribs??? I didn't realize that because they were referred to as pork spare ribs and the contestants stated they were trimming them to St. Louis style. I thought you only had to do that with regular spare ribs.

And thanks, gentlemen, for all those tips. One of these times when I'm home by myself, I'm going to make a rack just for me!!

Susan

......BTW' date=' I think BBQ Pit Masters is a joke this year, they ruined a great show. Did they have a Challenge this week where someone was voted off due to their Jello? BBQ Pit Masters, hah! Don't even me started[/quote']

I know, Larry. I read several BBQ forums and the vast majority of the posts regarding this show are extremely negative. But with all due respect, I honestly think expectations from the serious BBQ-ers are too high. It's just TV cooking show entertainment and the elimination style of competition is in fashion right now. And I'll bet the competition teams are chomping at the bit for an entry considering that the $100,000.00 first prize is not a bad payday. Since Kingsford is the sponsor, I was kind of hoping they would throw in one of our Kingsford logo KK's to the winner as well!! Did I say something about unreasonable expectations???

I have great results when using the rib rack and at 220/250 for about 3 hours for baby backs and a good four hours at 200 for St. Louis style.Not quite fall off the bone(overdone) but with just enough tooth to hold in your mouth for a while! No sauce,no basting! If your in the Chicago area(North Shore,Wilmette) ask for a sample, I put these on display almost every day of the week except Sunday and Monday-closed.

as a side note TLC ruined BBQpitmasters.

Yep...The show was great last season, the new format is what my almost 13 YO son would call an "epic fail." I far preferred watching actual competitions, of typical meat cuts, rather than asking a BBQ cook to wing it with a rattlesnake recipe and sending them home over it.

As for Kingsford, that's almost funny as I doubt any of the competitors would consider using the stuff.

I have great results when using the rib rack and at 220/250 for about 3 hours for baby backs and a good four hours at 200 for St. Louis style.Not quite fall off the bone(overdone) but with just enough tooth to hold in your mouth for a while! No sauce' date='no basting! If your in the Chicago area(North Shore,Wilmette) ask for a sample, I put these on display almost every day of the week except Sunday and Monday-closed.[/quote']

Just wondering - are you doing all of your ribs on the KK now, or still using the electric smokers? If in the KK are you doing them out front, to draw some attention, or under a hood inside?

Re: How long do you cook ribs?

On the BBQ Pitmasters show last night' date=' the main ingredient was spare ribs and the contestants were given 6 hours to do the ribs from start to finish - trim them, rub them, marinade them, inject them, etc. Nobody complained about only have 6 hours, at least they didn't complain on TV, and they weren't rushing around and some talked about marinting them and then cooking them lo and slow - 225 to 250.[/quote']

In the very first episode of BBQ Pitmasters this season they did pulled pork. In that episode they gave the contestants 12 hours to turn in their food. I remember thinking at the time WTH? 12 hours? It takes me at least 14 to do mine, and that is just cook time. What I assumed after thinking about it a bit is that the whole 12 hours deal was just for TV and the contestants already had their food done/cooking. For all I know, through the "miracle" of TV editing that 12 hour deadline scene was shot after the competition was over. If that deadline was real, then the contestants are cooking at temperature ranges well above what I typically do.

I am still experimenting with cooking ribs and for me at the temperatures I cook (200-250) I have found 6 hours to be a minimum for spare ribs to be cooked the way I like. I don't cut them St Louis style (just a waste of meat and time if you ask me) so that adds some additional cook time I suppose but I am actually thinking of going up to 7 hours as well.

I did not like the first episode of BBQ Pitmasters and have not watched since.

We should be clear in noting that the Pit Masters are all cooking baby back ribs. Four hours is plenty of time in the KK (and no foil necessary) to get 'em done right. 8)

Really, Conodo??? Those were babyback ribs??? I didn't realize that because they were referred to as pork spare ribs and the contestants stated they were trimming them to St. Louis style. I thought you only had to do that with regular spare ribs.

And thanks, gentlemen, for all those tips. One of these times when I'm home by myself, I'm going to make a rack just for me!!

Susan

Hi Susan - my apologies. I watched BBQ Pitmasters last season (didn't even know it made it to a Season 2!). I thought you were referencing an episode from last season where all of the Pitmasters were featured at different sanctioned BBQ events. They almost all cook Baby Back ribs for the comps.

For spares - I don't cut mine down. Because of this, there is very rarely much uniformity in weight or size. So, I cook the whole rack of spares untrimmed @ 237 for about 4.5 hours before my first peek to check for "doneness". Most racks I get weigh in at 4.5 to 5.x pounds. For spares, I tend to believe that they are done when the exposed bone has the meat retreating back from it about 1/4". However, I also put on my gloves and twist one of the exposed rib bones. If the bone pulls out clean, then you are set! I've had some racks finish up in 4.5 hours and others go as long as 6 hours. Just like my baby backs, once they are ready for sauce, I take out the deflector and ramp up the KK to 350. This ensures that the ribs are piping hot and that my sauce caramalizes just a touch. Hope this helps! 8)