bri134

First Butt and Ribs on the KK

Cooked my first butt and ribs on the KK for memorial day weekend. I am amazed at how idiot proof maintaining temps are in this cooker, its so solid. The butt took about 11 hours at around 250-255 - if I'd exercised more patience I could've gotten the temps down in the 225-235 range, but I was still becoming acquainted with temperature control on the KK - on my WSM I'd usually done them at 250ish so it was sort of my comfort zone. n68063

I'd never done ribs before today, so I was a little nervous. I didn't do the 3-2-1 method, I just rubbed them, put them on bare and left them that way until they were done. I saw Chris Lilly serve a dry rib on one of the Good Morning America broadcasts where he dunked them in white vinegar and water then sprinkled some rub on them. Ive never cared for ribs that swam in sauce, so I opted for the dry rib approach and it was absolutely divine, very moist and great texture. There were three racks like this, and they all looked the same.

n68064

Re: First Butt and Ribs on the KK

Stick to your guns! We've tried both ways, we're all over the dry rib approach.

I do like the occasional sticky sauce masking cheap meat, when someone else serves it to me, but for ourselves we'd rather track down good meat, and not mask it or turn it to mush.

We salt first, separately by weight as a percentage, then put the rest of the rub on. The percentage is a matter of taste, but having a target percentage sure insures reliable results.

Looking good.. For doneness on my ribs I use tongs to pick up the rack grabbing ABOUT 1/3 of them. I then give them a gentle bounce.. it the meat is ready the meat will just begin to tear and show little cracks, if it's not ready it will still be stiff and rigid. First check at about 4 hours. Not much difference between 235 and 250º with ribs.

Got me craving ribs.. going to do some in the next couple of days...

;);)

Looking good.. For doneness on my ribs I use tongs to pick up the rack grabbing ABOUT 1/3 of them. I then give them a gentle bounce.. it the meat is ready the meat will just begin to tear and show little cracks' date=' if it's not ready it will still be stiff and rigid. ;);)[/quote']I agree that this is the best way to check rib doneness. Takes a little practice, but once you get the fell and look down, you get the perfect ribs, NOT falling off the bone, just slightly chewy.

Good job there bri, bet you got some serious kudos from those who partook!

We had a big party today, including some folks from Massachusetts, Maine and Connecticut. First off, they were freaked that we all pack heat, they just couldn't understand that we take self defense seriously. We schooled them on the finer points of natural law and the Second Amendment and then got down to the real business off the day, thirty pounds of slow cooked, hickory smoked, pork butt. I guess they don't cook a whole lot of it up there. They scarfed it down! I used an injection of garlic and some other herb, a Tony Chachiere product. It comes with a big syringe and needle, too. Using ya'lls recommendation, I ground up a shitload of pepper using a coffee grinder, for the rub. Works real good, you can grind a lot fast. Also included some paprika, cinnamon, sage and cayenne. It came off the grill yesterday at 2PM, I wrapped it in foil and towels and held in coolers until this morning, when I pulled it about 8AM. It was still warm. Anyhow the Yankees loved it and just raved. Typical KK result. Makes you a star every time. Am I right, bri?

Both the butt and the ribs look great! Isn't it a pleasure to cook with a KK? At what temperature did you pull the butt?

Oh my God, night and day on the KK from my WSM and Weber grill. No comparison at all :smt003

As for the butt I pulled it a little higher than Id anticipated, right around 200. Put it on at 8pm Friday and figured it would be done by around 10am Sat - was a 10lb butt. However the temp I was cooking at was a little higher than usual, right around 250-260, so it finished sooner than I expected. Wrapped it in foil and a towel, stuffed it into a cooler to rest and its almost gone as I type this. Wife's birthday is this coming weekend so I imagine the KK will get a lot of use :D

Doc, everyone who ate some raved. The ribs are all but gone, saving the last couple for my 22 month old son who, until he had some ribs, was not a very enthusiastic meat eater. Im a proud dad now :D If results like these are typical then my family is in for a real treat. It was so easy to get and maintain a temperature, and its so well built and holds temps so easily getting up to check every hour as I had with my WSM seemed like an exercise in futility.

The wife requested 2 butts and some more ribs for her birthday so if she hasn't enjoyed the fruits of my labor she's sure doing a good job of hiding it. Im dying to do a prime rib roast on the KK. One of my favorite things to smoke. Will post pics of that cook when it happens.

First off' date=' they were freaked that we all pack heat, they just couldn't understand that we take self defense seriously. We schooled them on the finer points of natural law and the Second Amendment and then got down to the real business off the day, thirty pounds of slow cooked, hickory smoked, pork butt[/quote']

Sounds like my kind of party!

First off' date=' they were freaked that we all pack heat, they just couldn't understand that we take self defense seriously. We schooled them on the finer points of natural law and the Second Amendment and then got down to the real business off the day, thirty pounds of slow cooked, hickory smoked, pork butt[/quote']

Sounds like my kind of party!

ditto