LarryR

Posting Photos

OK, I'll say it, I hate the new photo posting tool and unfortunately as some of you may have noticed my photo postings have dropped significantly since it was implemented and it's use encouraged. So, I was hoping some one might be able to throw out some good ideas to get me over this.

My biggest challenge seems to be that I went out and bought this nice Nikon Digital SLR camera and the files it creates are huge (and they look great!) and I want to shoot in this format. Other than emailing the photos to myself and allowing Outlook to adjust the file size I know of no convenient way to reduce the size of these files.

Two, I typically post my cooks on two sometimes three sites. Photobucket makes this very easy as I upload once and then copy the code to each site.

I understand why Dennis wants us to use this tool, pictures stay with the post vs. links getting broken should the pictures get moved or deleted on Photobucket, I just need an easier way to do it. I've had some great cooks lately that I want to get back to posting.

Thanks for listening to me bitch . . .

Re: Posting Photos

Larry, there a bazillion free photo editing programs out there. I believe that Windows comes with Microsoft Photo Editor. It is on my XP laptop at work, and I didn't add it, so I believe it must come with Windows.

You just right click on the photo, Open With....., select Microsoft Photo Editor.

Click on Image->Resize and box will open up. Click on the Units dropdown and select pixels.

Then type in the new size for either the width or height. 800 pixels wide is a good size for a photo in landscape orientation.

Then click on File->Save As and save your photo as a new file name.

The advantage of you doing it is of course a) you get to choose the size and B) you only have to upload maybe 100,000 bytes instead 2 or 3,000,000.

Good luck!

Whiz, I've done that but it doesn't tell you what size of file you're creating, only "XXXX x XXXX", then I've got to go back and do it again until I get it under the size required. Am I doing something wrong, is there an option to tell it I need it under 500 kb?

Also, I understand what you're saying about uploading 500 kb vs 3,000,000 however, my upload pipe is so fat it's a non-issue.

Well, using M Photo Editor, when you pick Save As, you can click on the More button and select the Jpeg Quality Factor of 75 before you save it. I'd be surprised if you could produce a 600x800 or 533x800 pixel image that was much over 150K. For example, have an image from my old Canon 50D that was about 3500x2300 pixels. The image is 4 meg. When I resize to 800x533 at a quality factor of 72, I get a 93K file:

xxxxxxxx.JPG

Certainly adequate for photo posting and nowhere near 500KB.

So for those of you who want to do this I used Microsoft Office Picture Manager to open, clicked on "Edit Pictures" clicked on "Resize" and opened the drop-down list under "Make picture fit inside" and selected "Document - Large (1024 x768), clicked on "OK" and then did a "save as."

Picture was originally 3 mb and it took it down to 282.

A bit of a hassle to do for each picture, I'll probably reduce the number of pictures on each cook, but much easier than attaching to an email, reducing the size in the outgoing email, receiving the email doing a save as on attachments etc.

If anyone knows of a utility where you can select multiple pictures in a folder and resize them I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks for your help Whiz . . . BTW, I bought 300 lbs of Frontier lump (American) and I love the stuff!lump small.jpg[/attachment:3qrm9qjr]

post-6687-139082395234_thumb.jpg

Larry,

There is a free program named Irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com/

I use it when I do a web page like some of the Troop Cooks where I have 100 photos to post. Once you get the hang of it's batch processing (you can set various parameters that get applied to every photo) it will go like a Mazda (Zoom Zoom) and do them all. You can tell it to give them new names so as not to overlay the originals.

Good luck!

Anyone know how to upload more than one file at a time and post more than three photos to a post? Did a great butt cook today, got all my files re-sized and ran into these two challenges when I went to post my 8 pictures, sigh . . .

:mad: (My 9 yo son just walked in my office and asked me to put this face)

Make sure you use reply and not quick reply. Under the text box, below the save/review/submit is a small tab bar with Options on one tab and Upload Attachments on the other. Click upload attachments, click browse to locate attachment, click add the file and it should show the uploaded attachment below the text box. Then click Place Inline to move the pic attachment to the text area. Then repeat the entire process for the next pic (yeah, sux doing multiple pics).

-=J

Is anyone else seeing the 900 pound gorilla in the room?

Yes, Dennis would like to use the native upload to keep the images local, and offers valid reasons to do so. But really, if it makes that much hassle for you, the old method still works. I think even Dennis would admit that he would rather have enthusiastic posting and lots of pictures, even if it meant they were stored offsite. I know I would.

I'm with you guys, the upload tool is a pita to upload a handful of pics, and in the instances where I tried to use it, it was also goofy about how it placed them. I haven't even thought of resizing them first, either. My pics must be huge - I have been uploading the full size, and letting the browser render them smaller when viewed.

I'm trying to play by the rules and have invested some time in finding what for me is a decent compromise. Is it as easy as just loading my images (regardless of size) to Photobucket and then using a multi select to generate codes for my pictures and then pasting to my message, no, but it's a hell of a lot easier than what I was doing before to re-size pictures one by one.

Will I post as many pictures as I have in the past, honestly probably not, but I will continue to post vs. where I've been over the past few weeks not posting any pictures at all.

That's about 59 seconds too long.

I have a telepathic solution in the works for you..

As long as you are not a slow thinker.. it will be up in the required 1 second.

;);)

Where's Doc's telepathic reply? :smt002