ThreeDJ16

Forge!

Here are a few pics of the knife forge I built last year. I loved building the forge; now I got to get around to building a proper knife belt sander so I can actually make a knife - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Built those burners too for this project.

dscn0711mediumha7.jpg

dscn0712mediumha8.jpg

Test piece in the oven. Only one burner going.

dscn0714mediumlx4.jpg

Did not take long at all for the piece to turn cherry.

dscn0716mediumpc0.jpg

Older pic here, but shows the refractory brick and Kaowool insulation used. The interior can be 2500 and you can still brush up against the outside without burning yourself.

dscn0705mediumnj5.jpg

I was really thinking about getting into knife making...a little damascus steel blade with a mammoth tusk handle would be sweet. But everytime I see a really cool homemade anything I want to get into it...thus I'm not.

But it seems sweet...a friend of my brother's makes knives and made him a really cool one with a antler handle. I have to much work to do on the cabin...leave me alone with the more cool hobbies :?

Just the welding stuff alone is something I really want to be able to do.

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Oh boy I love knives been collecting custom made knives for years. Haven’t bought anything in a long time guess it’s because at my age I have all I need or want. 

No idea why it is, but always loved them too.  Have a decent collection myself.  Unfortunately the forge didn't get to see very much use as it wasn't long after making it that I lost the ability to do it.  But the cool part is now there are end mill capable of milling pre-hardened steel.  So this hobby might get a revisit in a few years, just minus any hand forging....LOL.

That and flashlights.  Again, no idea why, but they seem to literally go hand in hand with each other.  I'll admit it, I have a problem and have way too many knives and flashlights.  

Edited by ThreeDJ16