rorkin

Weight on Porch

I have a traditional old style porch.. The Kind made up of 2" T&G boards

making up a solid serface.. It is in good condition. Has anyone put a Komodo on such a surface without anything to spread out the weight ? I have concerns about the point loading on the wheels causing depresson in the wood..

Thanks

I cannot give a definitive answer here, but others have mentioned rolling it across a wooden floor with no damage. Probably would not be the best decision to park it on wood though - might indent it over time. Any reason why you cannot place something under it? I have seen pics of people placing ceramic grills on pavers on their wooden decks. For that matter, you could just get an additional piece of plywood (3/4 x 4 x 4) stain to match your decking and use to place under the grill (so it could take the abuse). I would want to cover the good decking wood somehow anyway; I don't know about you, but I make a mess swishing around mop sauces or marinade gets everywhere when I am putting meat on the grill. Perhaps one of those grill mats I have seen for sell at grill stores would help.

Anything that could distribute that load over a slightly larger area would be a big benefit. If a roller has a 1 square inch contact area, there are 4 rollers and a grill weighs 600 pounds, then the approximate (depending on level and placement) loading would be 150 PSI (lbs per square inch). Simply doubling that contact area would half the loading pressure.

Hope that helped!

-=Jasen=-

My deck is made out of pressure treated lumber, which if I'm not mistaken is usually pine. The wheels of the KK did leave impressions on my deck, so I used a flattened cardboard box (2 layers) to roll it accross the deck. I then went and purchased a fireproof grill pad which claims to be made out of a fiber cement construction, and placed it under the KK in its final resting place.

Pine is a soft wood, so you might be alright if your deck is made out of a harder wood, but you should still be carefull.

-Shawn

The impressions will plump up and disapear

The wheels of the KK did leave impressions on my deck' date='-Shawn[/quote']

If the impressions bother you, wet the wood place a damp cloth over the impressions. Heat them with an iron. The impressions will plump up and disapear :lol:

Learned a bit while building 600 containers of furniture :wink:

Re: The impressions will plump up and disapear

The wheels of the KK did leave impressions on my deck' date='-Shawn[/quote']The impression of Clark Gable and Bogie I don't mind so much, but when it starts doin Jerry Lewis, a girl's gotta draw the line, you know? :wink:

Re: The impressions will plump up and disapear

The wheels of the KK did leave impressions on my deck' date='-Shawn[/quote']The impression of Clark Gable and Bogie I don't mind so much, but when it starts doin Jerry Lewis, a girl's gotta draw the line, you know? :wink:

It's ok Sanny, I don't mind that you got into my homebrew stash. Next time ask me to join you though. :shock:

-=Jasen=-

i am a little worried about the weight issue as well. my landlord is supposed to be rebuilding the porch (hopefully next year), but with http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/06/29/deck.collapse/index.html this an issue here i'm wondering if i should wait...does anyone know how to tell how much weight a porch can stand? i live on the third floor (top floor) and would hate to cause a collapse, especially if people were on their porches below me.

If it weighs 700 lbs (I don't know the weight though) just think of 4 people being on your porch (OK, 2 people maybe, depending on their girth).

So, If 4 people will go out there, then make sure at least 5 can, if you decide to be out there cooking on it, etc. etc. etc. depending on how many people you will have out there.

Bottom line is, get the landlord to tell you how much weight it was designed for. And don't let 50 college kids out there. :shock:

Have you ever had a waterbed in a house? I've had a King size waterbed in many apartments (no, never on a porch). 300 gallons of water weighs about 2100 lbs.

i am a little worried about the weight issue as well. my landlord is supposed to be rebuilding the porch (hopefully next year)' date=' but with [url']http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/Midwest/06/29/deck.collapse/index.html this an issue here i'm wondering if i should wait...does anyone know how to tell how much weight a porch can stand? i live on the third floor (top floor) and would hate to cause a collapse, especially if people were on their porches below me.

More than likely the porch structure can handle the loading; it is probably more of an issue of whether the porch decking can handle the pressure of the small wheel footprint with the heavy load. Read my post above for more info. Curly is right in his post, if it cannot handle a couple of hefty people, then it is unsafe right now.

-=Jasen=-