fcnich

kk tool accessories

Re: kk tool accessories

They're for removing hot grates. Reach in to opposite sides' date=' twist to grab, and lift.[/quote']

Actually for the roti rods.. I think only one of them are large enough for the 3/8" grates.. And the grates are really too heavy for these.. I really think Insulated welding gloves are a must have for KK owners..

I've been using them to lift the hot grates. (That's what I thought they were for, mia culpa) Once you know the balance point on each grate, it's easy. I have welder gloves, but they are too bulky to grab the grate handles.

I've been using them to lift the hot grates. (That's what I thought they were for' date=' mia culpa) Once you know the balance point on each grate, it's easy.[/quote']

Bingo, me too. I went from feeling like an idiot for not knowing why Dennis has thrown them into my order, to marveling at how well they lift the hot grates.

Just ordered a pair. I'll also use them for handling the cast iron combo cooker at 500 F / 450 F recommended by the Tartine Bread book...

Tartine Bread

Lodge LCC3 Logic Pre-Seasoned Combo Cooker

(For indoor baking, nothing e.g. La Cloche or a Le Creuset pot comes close to the same effect, trapping the steam needed for rustic loaves.)

I grab my hot grill grates all the time using the silicone gloves from the grocery store.

They are like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Steven-Raichlen-B ... 345&sr=8-6

There are others out there, as well. I don't know that you could grab and hold a hot grate for long, I move pretty quickly with these and they have not burned through. Some older posts have a few links to this type of silicone glove.

I use silicone mitts that have a ridged surface. These allow for a really good grip and the ridges prevent a full hot surface to mitt surface contact. This allows a few extra seconds of use before the heat begins to get to your hand. Here is a link for a mitt similar to the one that I use.

http://www.target.com/p/Silicone-Soluti ... -/A-568859