quedog

Easter - What's Cookin?

What did everyone cook for Easter? For our family's Easter get together I kept Alice busy all day yesterday: n68457 The butts were smoked at 225 until they hit an internal temp of 150, then I foiled the pan and cranked Alice up to 350. Once the butts were done I pulled them off and put on the Dutch oven full of baked beans for about an hour. When they were done I opened Alice up and let her temp rise to 425 and cooked a skillet of cracklin corn bread. I've made lot's of cornbread in my time, but I've never used cracklins in it before. When I trimmed the fat from the butts I decided I didn't want to waste it so I rendered it into lard and cracklins. Since I had the cracklins I decided to make the cornbread. Of course the fat I used in the cornbread was the grease from the bacon cooked for the baked beans. I tried a little bit last night, it's pretty heavy but it and the pulled pork made a good combination, especially with some white sauce.

Re: Easter - What's Cookin?

Sorry can't help you there. I am Jewish. We are going to Brother in-Law's for Easter. His wife is Catholic. As for Passover this week, will do a Spatchcock Chicken this week as well as Steak. It's going to be a fun week on the KK.

Happy Passover and Happy Easter.

Butts, Beans and Bread.jpg[/attachment:1fgd2wu6]

Looks Great.. I did a trial run and cooked one of those wagyu boneless short ribs..

Smoked it indirect at 225º to 140-145º then seared it at 500º on the lower until it was 150-155º

I used only salt, black pepper and some Lawry's Seasoned Salt..

Awesome flavor and texture.. borderline too oily.. really rich in flavor sorta the foie gras of beef..

;);)

I disassemble my pork butts muscle by muscle and keep all the fat and connective tissue for rendering. I chop up the cracklings in to small bits and eat some with the pulled pork, and add them in to veggies. The liquid fat is wonderful to use, judiciously I might add, in mashed potatoes, green beans and just about any where you like. Or, after you shred the pork butt, you can return all the fat and mix in well. People who eat that think they died and went to heaven!

Wow, everyone's food looks fantastic!

mguerra, I separate the muscles after the cook, but it's never occurred to me to render the fat. Is that what you do? I will have to try it.

smokeylips, I love the chick hatching from the egg on the plate! Is the yolk still whole or is it deviled?

n67184 n67185

Did a nice big tenderloin from Costco for the extended family. Provencial salt for 24 hours, then olive oil and cracked pepper. Cooked at 270 to internal temp of 129 over plum charcoal, removed and covered with foil. Took it to 450 and did a load of asparagus, then up to 600 for a piece of salmon caught that morning for one of the guests, and then a reverse sear on the filet. Came out absolutely perfect.

post-7094-13908240009_thumb.jpg

post-7094-139082400094_thumb.jpg

Syzygies, great looking beef!

Plum charcoal? where do you get that?

I'd like to expand my smoke, charcoal profiles.

I see you are using an ingenious method of holding your pit gator clip to the grill, I picked up a gadget form BBQ guru site that is made of high temp brown rubber like material that the temp probe, sans gater clip, slides into and does a very nice job; The BBQ Guru Probe Tree.

link-- http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/The- ... -Tree.html

... I picked up a gadget form BBQ guru site that is made of high temp brown rubber like material that the temp probe, sans gater clip, slides into and does a very nice job; The BBQ Guru Probe Tree.

link-- http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/The- ... -Tree.html

Tucker:

Just wondering what probes you are using with the BBQ Guru Probe Tree. I bought one thinking it would be really useful but the holes are too small to accept my Stoker probes.

Re: Easter - What's Cookin? I know it's late, but here is what I took to my family's gathering in Alabama for Easter: n67193 n67192

2 8lb pork butts, a 14lb whole beef sirloin in the back all cooked low and slow at 220 degrees for 16 hours. The pics also show a small 4lb roast my wife put on and for dinner to have that night. She shredded it and made beef burritos.

post-7096-139082400325_thumb.jpg

post-7096-139082400366_thumb.jpg