Firemonkey

Another argument for using grill-floss

I just saw this article, which reminded me how great a grill floss is for cleaning the KK grates. The 3/8" tip fits and scrapes great, and you can avoid a side order o' wire with your meal.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ ... n-mans-gut

After the initial problem with the stainless tip not really being stainless (replaced by grill-floss), my grill floss is still like new, and has been out in the weather since I got it. In fact, I like it so much I bought a spare just in case!

Re: Another argument for using grill-floss

I watched the video and did hear just last week about this hazard. Where are you getting the grill floss from and is it specifically for the 3/8 grids. I believe i would prefer this over a brush.

Guys, here is a link to where you can get info and ordering options. It has been two years, but I seem to recall getting mine from an Amazon.com company. Here is the link. I hope it works.

http://www.grillfloss.com/grillfloss_home.htm

Mine has never bent, nor would I call it flimsy. The steel that it is made of is thin, in order to fit between the grill rods. However, the steel is of a type that is similar to spring steel. I cannot speak for others, but mine is very strong, flexible, and does a great job. Piano wire, for example, is very thin, but tempered to be incredibly flexible and strong. I thought the whole idea of floss (as in dental floss) was to make it thin so that it could fit in tight spaces, yet strong so it would not break under load. Well, this is grill floss. I cannot imagine any instance, in the normal process of scraping food debris from grill rods, that would cause the product to bend. At any rate, I would rather straighten out the grill floss every now and then than to pick grill brush fibers from my, er, colon. :lol:

BTW, sorry to mix my metaphors, but I often get passionate when taking a position.

Hmm... Not sure mine makes a screech. My grates are usually pretty oily though.

Doc- the end is a small piece of flat stainless which is bent at 90 degrees, and is probay 1mm or so thick Its rigid. One end of the tip has a 1/4 round notch and the other has a 3/8 inch notch. If you imagine the shape of a Swiss army knife can opener, there is sort of a hook shape made by the round cutout. I'm sure some people have bent that hook by prying with it or some nonsense, but the metal is pretty sturdy. Let's put it this way- I've used mine to lift one side of a hot grate on plenty of occasions and it's never even considered bending. I use the area near the fold to do the lifting, not the tip of the hook though.

I also thought the tip might wear out when I originally bought mine years back, so I ordered a spare tip at the same time - they're replaceable. That tip is long since misplaced, and the original tip shows absolutely no sign of wear either. I think there's several pics in some of the old threads around here.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1554&start=30

I can also lend my full support to the grill-floss. I admit that when I first got it I was concerned about the business end bending but have seen nothing of the sort. I still look at it before using it, push on it with my fingers and remain amazed that it doesn't bend because it looks like it should! I do get the "screech" or scraping noise, but that what metal-on-metal will do. I spray the grill with a Pam-like spray before grilling and I'm sure that helps with the cleanup ... perhaps I don't put as much on as I should or as much as others.

Bottom line: no reservations at all recommending grill-floss.

When I first got my grill floss a couple of years ago I remember thinking that the tip didn't appear to be very strong. But, I use it all the time and it has never bent or warped or done anything but work perfectly. I also bought the replacement tip and have no idea where it is since its been such a long time where I've not even thought about it. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Susan

You can add me to the list of those who have lost their replacement grill floss tip. Eureka! We can form the ultra-exclusive sub-group of the KK elite-- the LRGFT club! (Lost their Replacement Grill Floss Tip Club)

I nominate Firemonkey as our first LRGFT club president! Can I get a second to the motion? :wink:

I bought a spray bottle of Zep "Fast 505" at Depot. Spray it on the grates, front and back, let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I use a stainless steel scrubber. Most of it comes off really well with little effort. A little harder scrubber takes care of the rest.

Just ordered mine, but without the extra tip, based upon the feedback that you don't need it. And, I'd probably Just end up a member of the LRGFT club anyway! Plus, the price has gone up - $5 now. Fill out their survey and tell them that you heard it raved about here, and get free upgrade to priority shipping.

I bought a spray bottle of Zep "Formula 505" at Depot.

I've heard of enclosing metal in a bag with a bowl of ammonia (the gas does the work) as a way of power cleaning, including for BBQ grates. I have a grill-floss for regular use. Does any one have direct experience with ammonia?

I was just reviewing this thread and decided to trash all my brushes. Even though the wire ingestion injuries are rare, I figure if there is an easy and effective non-wire way to clean a grill, I will do that instead. A Grill Floss, an oily rag, a kitchen plastic pot scrubber, whatever.

I've heard of enclosing metal in a bag with a bowl of ammonia (the gas does the work) as a way of power cleaning, including for BBQ grates. I have a grill-floss for regular use. Does any one have direct experience with ammonia?

I have an old Wells waffle iron (actually from the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel where Bobby Kennedy was shot though I can't prove it was there at the time). When I went to refurbish it I located information on decarbonizing the grills which involved soaking a cotton ball in ammonia and leaving it in the grids overnight then turning the baker on and, after it is hot, brushing off the carbon debris.

It does work but takes a few applications for heavy buildup.

The current manual recommends commercial chemicals (maybe they make more $$$ thate way).