MadMedik

Updated: Brisket going on soon/Done

Post Cook update: I just flew through Dallas-Fortwoth and saw several restaurants serving brisket. Made me hungry. Now I am home so I am all over it. Here is trimmed brisket. Should be done around 6:00 fetch?id=74807fetch?id=74809equ5a4uj.jpg Okay, I am done. Here are follow up pics: I separate the flat and point y7a5aqu6.jpg Some Burnt Ends 4u9y9utu.jpgagahuqu6.jpg This is 9 1/2 pounds untrimmed. I used LarryR suggestion of high temp brisket cook. You can search forum. I used Mesquite, main grill level, and pit temp of about 330 degrees. I used indirect stone also. I cut off 22 ounces of fat before cooking Larry suggested putting a piece of foil under the tip of brisket, just a little bit. I did NOT do this on this cook and the flat was dry. Maybe overlooked it?? Nonetheless, two other times doing this it was not dry when using foil. The burnt ends were phenomenal . My wife was eating them before I was done chopping. I almost got her fingers. She was amazed and making strange sounds as she ate them.??? I put half the burnt ends in pot and back on grill with BBQ sauce. They started out great, but I may have over cooked them a bit. Seemed a bit dry and chewy on the plate. Next time I think I would put a lot more sauce in pot and keep it more moist. The flat was quite dry. I was quite disappointed. Previous cooks resulted in tender and moist flat slices. Cook time was about 4 1/2 hours. I think I missed the "window" of opportunity and never found the probe to "go in to soft butter feel". Perhaps this occurs, but if cook too long the soft feel goes away and then it is dry and overcooked? I had some issues with the coffee cardamom rub, but that is another story MadMedik

fetch?id=67440fetch?id=67441fetch?id=67442fetch?id=67443

Re: Updated: Brisket going on soon/Done

Hello cousin, It just so happened that we were also doing a brisket. The first one I have done after more than 10 years of ceramic cooking. What a fine piece of meat! Ours came out simply amazing, juicy and very tasty. We were skeptical about making brisket because our experience when we had it in restaurants hasn't been all that good. We have had it up here in Canada as well as in different places in the states. From Dallas to Florida etc. Generally we found it dry and chewy. Ours was nothing like that it practically melted in your mouth.

post-6835-139082404625_thumb.jpg

post-6835-139082404629_thumb.jpg

post-6835-139082404632_thumb.jpg

post-6835-139082404636_thumb.jpg

Hey Cousin, great to hear from you. Sounds like you nailed it. What technique did you use? What temp, how long, rub on meat?, etc....

Hope all is well. I see in picture there is no snow? You have warm sunny days with no snow?? :)

MadMedik

Hey cousin.

I am sorry for the delay, it's been quite busy the last couple of weeks. You are right the snow is finally gone and it is actually getting warm. We are now getting ready for our Easter this week end. We will do a lamb on the spit. Too bad the kk is too small for this. I will try to post some pics.

Here is what we did with our brisket. As mentioned it was our first one. I had done a lot of reading and below is a combination of different recipes.

1. We injected with low sodium beef stock.

2. Covered it with a thin layer of dijon mustard.

3. Applied a rub of: ground chipolte pepper, smoked paprika, ground all spice, ground black pepper, kosher salt,ground cumin, paprika, onion powder, and brown sugar

Let marinate at least 12 hrs.

Set-up the kk for indirect cooking as shown. I prefer the upper rack as I had found in previous long cooks the meat gets done quicker on top. The wood chips are hickory. I do believe mesquite will also be good. In fact we will try mesquite next time. The brisket after trimming was 6lbs

Here is a table of the time and temp.

Time dome temp meat temp

11:20 am 260 134

12:20 250 148

1:20 240 158

2:09 240 163

3:25 280 169

4:20 290 180

5:10 290 190

Let it rest for about 20 minutes. Serve it with your favorite bbq souce.

I hope it helps.

What a perfect example of the uncritical nature of temperature control for a low and slow. I know I'm always harping on this. Any temp from 200 to 300 will work fine for a low and slow. Your temps ran from 240 to 290 and you got a great result, apparently also without foiling. So 225 is a great temperature for a low and slow, but it's not critical. You also finished by meat temperature, not by feel, and that worked too. KK Q, it's awesome.

Hey cousin.

I am sorry for the delay, it's been quite busy the last couple of weeks. You are right the snow is finally gone and it is actually getting warm. We are now getting ready for our Easter this week end. We will do a lamb on the spit. Too bad the kk is too small for this. I will try to post some pics.

Here is what we did with our brisket. As mentioned it was our first one. I had done a lot of reading and below is a combination of different recipes.

1. We injected with low sodium beef stock.

2. Covered it with a thin layer of dijon mustard.

3. Applied a rub of: ground chipolte pepper, smoked paprika, ground all spice, ground black pepper, kosher salt,ground cumin, paprika, onion powder, and brown sugar

Let marinate at least 12 hrs.

Set-up the kk for indirect cooking as shown. I prefer the upper rack as I had found in previous long cooks the meat gets done quicker on top. The wood chips are hickory. I do believe mesquite will also be good. In fact we will try mesquite next time. The brisket after trimming was 6lbs

Here is a table of the time and temp.

Time dome temp meat temp

11:20 am 260 134

12:20 250 148

1:20 240 158

2:09 240 163

3:25 280 169

4:20 290 180

5:10 290 190

Let it rest for about 20 minutes. Serve it with your favorite bbq souce.

I hope it helps.

I picked up a 7lb Brisket at Costco last night. This will be my first. Thank you for your

detailed way cooking Brisket. Is injecting the Brisket with beef stock necessary ? Would

the Brisket be moist without it ? There is a fat cap on one side. How much should be trimmed

or any at all ? I know it is about internal temp but how much time should I plan for cooking a Brisket ?

I hope for a first time it comes out moist.

Thank you.

You might want to finish your brisket by feel, not internal temp. Use an ice pick, skewer, or any sharp probe. When it is very tender, it's done. Having done many briskets "old school" and "hot, fast" I prefer the hot fast with foiling at the 165º mark. Injecting always helps but isn't necessary. It really helps prevent the flat from being too dry. If you inject the point, it will likely fall apart when you try to slice it, not necessarily a bad thing!

Here's a good source for injections:

http://www.butcherbbq.com

Re: Updated: Brisket going on soon/Done Hosted my Foodie Group on Sunday. This month's theme was BBQ. Did a full packer brisket (local grass fed beef). Injected with beef broth and dry rub (Billy Bone's Competition Rub), marinated overnight. On the KK for 13.5 hours @ 225F, with hickory and peach wood in the dutch oven smoker. Pulled the meat @ 192F (target was 195F) as I was running short on time (wanting several hours rest before serving). After an hour of resting in foil, blanketed in a cooler, pulled out the point, cut into 1" cubes for burnt ends. Dusted the cut sides with more Billy Bone's dry rub. Went back on the KK @ 275F for another 2 hours. Killer. As I've said in the past - meat candy! The group was just ga-ga over the KK. They had fun finishing off their dishes (including a BBQ rabbit!) on it. Roasted local sweet corn (1st of the season) and grilled marinated mixed veggies, to go with all the meat. Oh yeah, I made a batch of ABTs, too. Top it all off with a nice white wine sangria and it was a great day! Here's the brisket as it was coming off the grill. fetch?id=67502fetch?id=67503

post-7343-139082405373_thumb.jpg

post-7343-139082405435_thumb.jpg

It's really easy to separate them after cooking, and remove ALL the inter-muscular fat. But I would like to separate them prior to cooking and remove all that fat so I could get rub on all four surfaces. I'm guessing trying to separate them and remove all the fat before cooking is a PIA. When you cook a packer or even a trimmed one, you can really only get the rub on one bare meat surface, the top of the flat. I know you can separate them after cooking, scrape off all the fat, put the rub on the now bare surfaces, and put them back on the fire. I just never do it.