DennisLinkletter

New Low Airflow Gas draft door-

Any Luck

Dennis, is the existing valve threaded into the burner assembly directly at the draft door? If so, what size is the threading there.

-=Jasen=-

DJ, have you found a different valve yet? If you do let me know as I would like to get one. Like you said it would be nice to have one that only has one knob and the hose connection points down. The hose I bought has a 3/8" mpt on the end.

Re: Any Luck

Dennis, is the existing valve threaded into the burner assembly directly at the draft door? If so, what size is the threading there.

-=Jasen=-

DJ, have you found a different valve yet? If you do let me know as I would like to get one. Like you said it would be nice to have one that only has one knob and the hose connection points down. The hose I bought has a 3/8" mpt on the end.

Tony, can you tell what type of connection is between valve and burner and I might could help out more. If you could unscrew the valve and take a pic along with info - even better. Male or female - pipe thread - size (I imagine 1/4 or 3/8).

-=Jasen=-

...If you could unscrew the valve and take a pic along with info - even better. Male or female - pipe thread - size (I imagine 1/4 or 3/8 )...
Sheesh, it always comes down to sex and measurements, and pictures of sex and measurements, huh? No matter how we try to have a sophisticated forum, we degenerate to this. :roll:

:::giggle:::

...If you could unscrew the valve and take a pic along with info - even better. Male or female - pipe thread - size (I imagine 1/4 or 3/8 )...
Sheesh, it always comes down to sex and measurements, and pictures of sex and measurements, huh? No matter how we try to have a sophisticated forum, we degenerate to this. :roll:

Well then, do you have any pics? hehe :shock:

-=Jasen=-

DJ, here are some pictures. All three female threads into the valve are the same size and look exactly like the empty pilot thread in the first photo but I can't figure out what size they are. They may be metric. They are slightly smaller than 1/4". The male part that has the orifice in it is about 1/2" but really has no bearing as it is the opposite end that screws into the valve.

dsc01618cp4.jpg

dsc01619tw0.jpg

Awe c'mon Sanny, They were just discussing the size of their pipes in order to insure they have a tight fit in the female adapter. Sounds completely innocent to me. :roll:

DJ, here are some pictures. All three female threads into the valve are the same size and look exactly like the empty pilot thread in the first photo but I can't figure out what size they are. They may be metric. They are slightly smaller than 1/4". The male part that has the orifice in it is about 1/2" but really has no bearing as it is the opposite end that screws into the valve.

Well, thanks for the great pics. That helped me understand finally how the attachment was made to the burner. Though it sux pretty good that it is all metric and I should have expected that. But at least it could be a fairly simple change out if we could find some metric valve sizes as all we would have to do is remove the valve at the end of the piece that contains the jet. Or we could re-tap the threads on the burner itself to standard, use a short pipe nipple (place solder in it and drill the jet) to attach through draft door into valve.

I am curious though, that seems like an awfully thin piece of stainless plate holding that large burner, or is there some sort of bracket attaching it to the guide rods?

-=Jasen=-

Well as you can see the jet piece is what attaches to the door so if we could find a metric to standard adapter we could still use the supplied jet piece. We could still use the valve you showed if we could find an adapter that was (metric size)FemaleX3/8"Female(or whatever size the output is of the valve). As you say we could then just disconnect the entire valve from the jet, attach the adapter and reinstall the new valve. I also would need an adapter that is 3/8"femaleX(whatever the size of the input side of the valve is)Female as the end of my hose has a 3/8" mpt connection. I also thought at first the assemble would be a little flimsy but in working with it it seems to be OK. Let me know what you can come up with and thanks for the help.

Well as you can see the jet piece is what attaches to the door so if we could find a metric to standard adapter we could still use the supplied jet piece. We could still use the valve you showed if we could find an adapter that was (metric size)FemaleX3/8"Female(or whatever size the output is of the valve). As you say we could then just disconnect the entire valve from the jet' date=' attach the adapter and reinstall the new valve. I also would need an adapter that is 3/8"femaleX(whatever the size of the input side of the valve is)Female as the end of my hose has a 3/8" mpt connection. I also thought at first the assemble would be a little flimsy but in working with it it seems to be OK. Let me know what you can come up with and thanks for the help.[/quote']

I do not think I have ever seen any kind of metric to standard pipe adapters. Also, the whole purpose for me is to get rid of the ugly valve, so I really don't want to end up with a bunch of other fittings in it's place. I think I am going to just order the low air flow / gas door as is and use a simple off the shelve 90 degree needle valve and replace the metric nipple with jet with a standard nipple and make my own jet. Re-threading the burner is no problem as I already have dies.

Just my 2 cents.

-=Jasen=-

Re: New Low Airflow Gas draft door-

Here is a shot of the prototype of my new gas burner draft door with dial in low airflow control.

Light your charcoal with the gas burner, leave it in and still have great airflow control...

What will I think of next?

:wink::wink::wink:

newgasburnerplateqo1.jpg

Hey Dennis, can we see a pic of it in the grill?

Thanks,

-=Jasen=-

Re: New Low Airflow Gas draft door-

Hey Dennis, can we see a pic of it in the grill?

Thanks,

-=Jasen=-

Sure, I'm wrapping up some business here in Bangkok..

Uh Huh yea right :lol:

Trying to ride out the 14 hours of jet lag by staying up late :lol:

I'll get some picts up when I'm back in Indo this weekend..

I'll be back online daily then..

Sorry for my delay in getting back to anybody and the forum in the last two weeks

:)