jeffshoaf

Got it right this time!

Nice! Details on the prep and the cook' date=' please![/quote']

Went simple this round - used a bought "savory spice blend" as a light rub, made sure to heat soak the KK for about 4 hours, threw on several hickory chunks about 20 minutes before putting on the butt. Cooked at around 210 degrees for about 12 hours, and another 2 hours at 250. Turned out very tender and tasty, but I would have liked a bit more smoke flavor.

Nice looking butt! You probably already know but I'll throw it out just in case: Thicker/bigger pieces of wood at the beginning or adding your smaller chunks again at about 3-hours will add to your smokiness. Smoke adhere is also better with dry meat...compared to moist/wet surface of meat.

I find the flavor from the smoking wood to be much better if you char it/let the nasty white smoke burn off before putting the meat in for smoke session. For all my smoking so far I use large chunks, typically 3"-4" cubes, and light them in a chimney starter until black...then I put them in the KK or smoking pot...keeps the acrid smoke taste at bay.

You have the twin to my KK!

For your smoking wood, consider using a converted dutch oven as a smoker box. It will prolong your smoke over just tossing chunks on top of the fire. Here's another thread about that:

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/vi...ven+smoker+box

I like to use a combination of a hard smoking wood (oak, maple, or hickory) and a fruit wood (apple, peach, or cherry) in the dutch oven for lo & slo cooks. 2 parts hard wood to 1 part fruit. If it's chicken or steaks, I just toss the chunks onto the fire to get smoke generation right away, as they are much shorter cooks than butts, ribs or briskets. I like to use mesquite or red oak for steaks - bolder smoke flavor. YMMV