jeffshoaf

Details on foiling, toweling, coolering?

I've read several mentions here of holding smoked butts and other larger cuts of meat for hours after it's finished cooking by wrapping in foil and towels and sticking in a cooler. I'll probably have a need for this technique this weekend, but I haven't been able to find details on this (searching for "cooler" didn't help a whole lot). So... Is it as simple as removing the meat, wrapping tightly with foil, then wrapping with towels, and then sticking it in a cooler? Don't the juices run out of the foil and foul the towels, creating a soggy mess?

I haven't got the meat yet and may fall back to turkey or chickens instead of a butt or beef roast. Does the same technique work for the fowl as well?

TIA!

I just used a foil pan...set the roast in the foil pan; then foil over the top to seal; then into a cooler; then towels to fill in the air space around the foil topped/wrapped roast. Works great and you'll be surprised how hot it keeps the roast for hours! Never tried it with fowl.

Double wrap in foil and it's tight as a bun. I made one this weekend and just single-wrapped it and let it rest on the counter for an hour (it was already 9pm and needed to pull that night!). No juice leaked out. The towels are in the cooler to take up any airspace and provide insulation. I've DFTC a couple butt's for 5-6 hours and upon opening they were still STEAMING hot!

Second what others have posted. It's as simple as it sounds and works great. Keeps meat hot for hours! I use an old beach towel, just in case of a leak. I wrap the meat in double foil, then wrap in the towel. Only used this technique with briskets, butts, and ribs, never chicken - although I don't see why it wouldn't work with poultry, too.