dstr8

Sous Vide Tri-Tip

So this was my first attempt at using the sous vide water bath and a tri-tip.   The tri-tip spent about 4-hours immersed in its 126*F water bath prior to a 4-minute sear on the KK.  

The end result was a very juicy and tender, relative to a tri-tip :), tri-tip.  However, and this isn't a surprise really, it lacked the substantial wood roasted flavor I get when I typically roti them on the KK.  

After discussing the results with a buddy he suggested smoking, at 150*F max, the tri-tip for 1/2 hour or so then going in to the sous vide bath before searing to finish.  This sounds like too much screwing around...but I may try it just to say I'm not a quitter.  And then return to the simple magic of indirect roti sessions on the KK:   Dead simple.  And damn tasty.  

post-1238-0-35342700-1394993830_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-33829100-1394993844_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-68062700-1394993853_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-49273500-1394993861_thumb.jp

By coincidence I just did this with a hunk of sirloin. My butcher called it Chateaubriand but they were liberally using the classic not modern definition, the sirloin closest to the filet, tougher but more flavorful. Some customers should feel hoodwinked, but this was exactly what I wanted.

We made a marinade of bruised rosemary, smashed garlic, and olive oil. Next time we'd add some lemon zest. We warmed the packet sous vide to 138 F for 2 hours, then briefly grilled at high heat to establish the exterior texture and flavor.

Using some fat in a sous vide packet is an updated version of the classic French "confit". One can reproduce duck confit this way; the only difference is the fat doesn't taste rancid. Non-traditionalists prefer this modern twist on a classic.

The effect was like a great steak, almost tender like stew or prime rib. There are those who theorize that more than an hour is too much, because the meat goes to mush. With tougher cuts one wants this effect, at least a bit. Be aware of the issue, and tune each cut separately to taste.

138 F is also a matter of taste. This was medium rare, but unquestionably cooked through. Plenty of people would pick 134 F, some would go even to 140 F.

• Like 1

What immersion circulator do you guys have? I just ordered Anova's new "precision cooker" model. It seems to be the best among the consumer models, but they all do basically the same thing. I like this one because it has an "app" to automatically set temps and times based on what you're cooking - so my wife can use it!

I, on the other hand, will likely spend hours fine tuning my preferred temp to the tenth of a degree lol.

Appreciate any feedback!

I've been basically using the SV as the first part of my now extended reverse sear..

First SV at 132ºf for about 8 hours.. Then I throw it in the refrigerator over night.

Next day I smoke it and then sear.. Never worry about needed to cook the center because I did it the day before..

The cold inside keeps you from overcooking while searing browning..  

If it's not warm all the way thru it's of course easy to warm it up..

The best part is the thinner, lower part of the tri tip is now perfectly rare also when it is usually pushing medium with a traditional sear because the thick part takes longer..

What immersion circulator do you guys have? I just ordered Anova's new "precision cooker" model. It seems to be the best among the consumer models, but they all do basically the same thing. I like this one because it has an "app" to automatically set temps and times based on what you're cooking - so my wife can use it!

I, on the other hand, will likely spend hours fine tuning my preferred temp to the tenth of a degree lol.

Appreciate any feedback!

I have the original Anova model. Used it more than I thought that I would, actually. LIke Dennis said, it makes a great tool to go with the KK. 

post-975-0-67933000-1415735605_thumb.jpg