jmagaram

BBQ Beef Back Ribs

I just tried uploading your nearly 8 MB pic...the website choked, but I right clicked,edit,resize 50%, save and lo and behold the 2 MB file was fine.

I would suggest that using a 12 plus MP DSLR is overkill for the forum pics and a cell phone pic is fine, and simpler to upload too.....

if you click on the thumbnail you will see a quite acceptable image......hope this helps...nice lookin' ribs!!!!!

post-747-0-64104800-1395606653_thumb.jpg

I have some boneless beef ribs in the sous vide right now - Korean style. Will take them out of the bath tomorrow (2 days in the bath) and lightly sear them on the KK after I take off my pastrami that's going on the KK this afternoon after a week in the fridge curing.

Lamb loin chops for dinner tonight (2 hours in the sous vide first with Greek seasoning, quick sear on the KK before the pastrami goes on). Taking advantage of a "spring break" in the weather - 50s-60s this weekend. WOOO-HOOO!! :headbang:

Are you asking about the the big beef ribs, or the smaller, short ribs? Just the local grocery store for both. Beef ribs are beef ribs, not sure that they are in short supply?? As for the short ribs, they may be different in local?? Basically, they are like the big beef ribs, be cut across the bones....1 beef rib may make 3 or 4 short ribs. It seems the "short ribs" have a lot more meat on them then if they were long, big boned ribs. Someone with knowledge may give insight to this...if if could find the big beef rib bones with the same amount of meat on them like the smaller short ribs...that would be something else ! They must be of a similiar cut, but are a bit different.

I have often put the short ribs in a crock pot, 8 to 12 pieces, load it with BBQ sauce to cover, and cook on low all day in crock pot...boy are they good, extremely tender, don't need a knife to cut....very good

:sad1: Sorry, i meant the large ones.  We can get short ribs, prohibitively expensive, but we can get them  I just can't get the big ones.  I did find some at Walmart, but they were nothing but bone.  Nothing at Costco, Giant, or Acme and Wegmans says they get them maybe once a year and I can't order.  It's very disappointing because I've done both the bone-in and boneless short ribs and they came out great.  But I would like some big dinosaur bones once-in-a-while!

My big bone-in short ribs came from a local butcher at our Farmers' Market. But, I can get regular boneless both at my supermarket and at CostCo. The ones I've got in the sous vide right now came from CostCo.

FWIW - Back ribs and short ribs come from different cuts on the cow. Short ribs and the "country style" (boneless) come from the chuck cut, while the back ribs come from the rib cut. Both are on the top half of the cow, the chuck is right behind the neck, then the rib section comes right after that, just before you get to the loin section.

:sad1: Sorry, i meant the large ones.  We can get short ribs, prohibitively expensive, but we can get them  I just can't get the big ones.  I did find some at Walmart, but they were nothing but bone.  Nothing at Costco, Giant, or Acme and Wegmans says they get them maybe once a year and I can't order.  It's very disappointing because I've done both the bone-in and boneless short ribs and they came out great.  But I would like some big dinosaur bones once-in-a-while!

I don't think they are popular here in the northeast.  Pricechopper carries them by me on occasion and is about the only place I can find them.  Do the back ribs cook in the same amount of time as the short ribs when they are cooked together on the KK? 

Taking advantage of a "spring break" in the weather - 50s-60s this weekend. WOOO-HOOO!! :headbang:

Isn't it great Tony??? Just this morning is the first time in ages that I've been able to look down on my patio and not see ANY snow or ice. I have a rib eye and a T bone ready to go on the KK tonight for the first cook of the season. 

Awesome, Susan!

While it's warm again today, not likely to do any grilling, as it's raining (early jump on those April showers, I suppose!) But, everything this weekend came out great, especially the beef ribs. Melt in your mouth tender after 2 days in the sous vide, with a quick sear on the lower grill.

Pastrami (this was trial #2) came out good, too. 12 hours on the KK with apple, peach, and hickory, @ 225F, cooked to internal temp of 192F, wrapped in foil and into the fridge to cool. Only critique is that I might have gone too light on the pepper/coriander rub. I backed off from trial #1, as I thought that one was too heavy and overpowered the flavor of the brisket. Love experimenting!