Sav

A couple of random cooks

Gday,

I'm an x Chef and Restauranteur and I thought I was over cooking,  Ive had my 32 for a couple of months now and my new KK has brought back the love.

My grill is absolutely brilliant, very predictable and has introduced great flovours to some of my old favourites.

post-974-0-16932500-1396086659_thumb.jpg

post-974-0-93507400-1396086724_thumb.jpg

post-974-0-24790100-1396086787_thumb.jpg

post-974-0-39012000-1396086866_thumb.jpg

Tony,

I see the round baking stones but not the profile matching variant to the sear grate as shown above by Dennis for the 32".  I could be wrong but I don't think the ceramic heat deflector Dennis includes with the 23" is meant for direct baking...mine is relatively course textured compared to my pizza stone.  

Dennis?  

Your are correct - the heat deflector and the pizza stone are completely different items. It was an "add-on" to my KK order (sorry, if I wasn't clear on that point.)

I normally don't make pizzas bigger than 12" diameter (usually more like 6 - 8"), so I'm  not sure what the small incremental area would get you by making the pizza stone conform to the sear grill profile? And for making bread, I generally do more roundish/oblong loaves, not long skinny baguettes, but I could see where the extra length in the back might be helpful for that.

I'm probably being too anal with the shape wish.  I do make round pizzas; the goal would be to decrease the air gap around the perimeter between the stone and the interior wall of the KK...presumably providing a temperature buffer to the pizza crust.  I clearly have too much time on my hands :D

I have always found better luck with a bigger gap around the pizza stone. Doing pizza at high temps, the stone on the basket is too much of an impedance on the airflow. When I do pizza, I get the best temp response, and even heating, when I put the deflector on the lower grate, instead of the basket handles. I still get the benefit of a buffer since it's below the pizza stone (2 levels above) and it doesn't slow the air or force the heat to the outside edge.