normstar

Porterhouse

Cooked this beauty last night. Had the horizontal portion of the basket splitter installed, so the basket was only half-deep. Filled it with mesquite and soaked to a dome temp of 450.

Steak on the middle grate for 5 minutes total, half on each side. With the super hot fire and awesome searing I was worries about overcooking it, and it felt pretty firm to the touch, so I pulled it at 5 minutes. I even took a temp with the Thermapen, normally I don't so this for steaks as I've found it tough to use with any meat that is less than 1.5-2" thick minimum. But the thermapen read about 112-115 so I figured it would carryover cooking up to about 120-125. I think it did just that, but it was Rare - very good, but I would have preferred med-rare, so another minute would have been perfect.

Grilling steaks on high heat is challenging, I have not mastered it yet. They always seem to "seize up", for lack of a better term, and they feel like they are more cooked than they are. Must just be the high heat. Anyway, steak was fantastic, I iust wish that I had cooked it one minute longer!

post-983-139802937551_thumb.jpgpost-983-139802941714_thumb.jpgpost-983-139802943766_thumb.jpgyte6ubas.jpg

Tony: At what temp would you recommend Norm start the reverse sear? To be honest, every time I've tried the reverse sear I've ruined the meat by overcooking it. But then again, I'm not starting the reverse sear at 90 or 100 deg, which is probably where I need to be. I suspect Norm likes his steak just a hair more done than me since his 2.5 min/ side on the lower level was a little too rare but my 2 min per side on top of the coals is just right. 

Susan, you are correct. I roast the steak first at about 350F on the main grill - direct until the meat temperature hits about 105F (as I'm shooting for medium rare at the end (130F)). Mesquite or Red Oak chunks are my woods of choice. Pull the main grill and meat off. I usually already have the sear grill in place.Then it's rock on! Open all the vents wide open, let 'er rip to as high as it will go. Then drop the steaks onto the sear grill for 15 seconds, flip, another 15 seconds, flip, another 15 seconds, flip, a final 15 seconds and off they come. I read somewhere (Amazing Ribs??) that turning every 15 seconds gives better results than leaving on for 30 seconds on each side. I also don't subscribe to the "let it rest" technique for 15 minutes. Who wants cold steak? Go read AmazingRibs.com to dispel this myth.

Disclaimer - the above times on the sear assume that you have a serious cut of steak - at least an inch thick. If your steak is thinner than that, adjust the times accordingly and you probably only want one sear per side, not two like for the thicker cuts.

• Like 1

I do my reverse sear at a much lower temp.. 225º and usually throw a lil chunk of wood for smoke too.. I use a probe and bring it up to 110-115º   Since it's at a lower temp I don't get as much drift upwards after you pull it off like you do at 350º..

I use a drip pan on the lower to create my indirect area.. pull it and hit the coals with my cheapo hair drier to get to browning temps.  I often let the meat cool off before I start browning at 550º on the lower grill.. Turning quickly so as not to cook the meat only brown it.. I pull when it starts firming up.. I always cut thick or am cooking tri tips. so I have more volume and so it's easier to not over cook..

Great tips thank you guys, I'll try that! I have trues reverse sears in the past but just couldn't get the hang of it, I didn't seem to get a good enough crust. I will try the constant flipping technique.

Tony: for goodness sake let your steak rest! At least 5 minutes, ideally 7-10 minutes. Every chef I know would "chop" you for cutting into your steak before it rests :)

One of our members once posted a link to a Heston Blumenthal video on You Tube where he has an interesting demonstration on the benefits of resting your steak. I don't know how to post the link but the title of it is How to Cook Like Heston S01E01Beef and the demo is at 4:25 into the video. Sure convinced me!!!  

Susan

There is always some amount of time between taking the steak off the grill and actually starting to consume it. At least 5 minutes or more - transport inside from the grill, while you get the sides on the plate, bread out of the oven, plate to the table, etc. Also, how long does it take for you to fully consume the meat, you don't eat it in just one bite (I hope!) I just don't go out of my way to "rest" the steak for a specific amount of time anymore. It just sort of takes care of itself. (Caveat, I'm only talking steaks here, not brisket or pork butts.)

Here's a counter argument about "lost juices" - besides, they aren't "lost" they're still on surface of the meat or on your plate. And, that's what bread is for - sopping up those yummy bits. Note: they discuss the Blumenthal test that Susan mentioned. And I have watched Otto squash the steaks before. A bit extreme, not exactly what you'd expect if you just slowly cut off bites and ate them, like normal people!

www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_resting_meat.html

Ever been to a Ruth's Chris, pretty yummy steaks, right? (overpriced, yeah, but still yummy beef!) How does your steak arrive at the table - on a screaming hot slab of metal. Kind of hard to "rest" a steak like that, don't you think? They seem to be doing an OK business for not "resting" their steaks.

Point is, don't get too hung up about it; in the overall scheme of how to cook a great steak; there are much more important things to concentrate on. I don't want to start a war over this, I'm just saying!

• Like 1

Meathead did a demonstration on "room temp". He took a 1/14" thick strip out of the fridge, an measured the internal temp at 38°. After an hour at room temp, internal temp was 40°. I think I get better external results from a "cold" steak anyway. <br />

<br />

<br />

Robert

Hi, my name is Tony, and I'm a total food geek! [Collective Response: Hi, Tony!]

I have 4 more food books coming next week via Amazon - 2 by Ruhlman, one from Alton, and the latest from Peterson - "Done.:  A Cook's Guide to Know When Food is Perfectly Cooked."

I need help! :read2:

• Like 1