GoFrogs91

Coffee Cardamom Rub Help

So I tried a coffee cardomam rub last week on a chuck roast (LarryR's recipe).

First mistake, I tried to do it without the oil. Nothing would stick. Scraped it back into the food processor and added oil until it reached a consistency of a can of frosting. Then I spread it all over the beef and refrigerated overnight.

The next day, I smoked it over lump with mesquite. By the time it was ready to pull. The rub was still the consistency of peanut butter. I put my finger in it to taste and it was tasty, but gritty due to the coffee grounds. I ended up scraping most of it off due to concern of having a batch of gritty pulled beef.

Anyone else tried this type of rub with success? Tips or advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoFrogs91 Let me preface this by saying it is a popular rub on our Board and others as well. But, truth be told, I tried it on beef ribs and did not care for it - either the flavor or the texture. I don't recall whether I used the oil or not but would guess I probably did, at least some of it.                                                            Susan

I've also tried it and for this boy it was just OK.  I much prefer homemade garam masala...love it on beef and pork.  

Having said that if you liked the flavor of the cardamom-espresso rub and want to eliminate the grit from the espresso grind I suggest brewing a ristretto and using it in place of the dry coffee.  If you don't have an espresso maker then just brew a super concentrated pour-over so you only need to add a couple thimble fulls to your rub mix...

FWIW/FYI:  The garam masala rub I use regularly and like is from The Book of Curries and Indian Foods by Linda Fraser as posted on another KK thread by Majestik.  Thanks Majestik!!!

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds 

2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks, crushed 

2 teaspoons whole cloves 

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon black peppercorns 

3 tablespoons cumin seeds 

3 tablespoons coriander seeds 

Put all spices in a heavy skillet and dry roast over medium heat 5-10 minutes, until browned, stirring constantly. Cool completely, then grind to a find powder in a coffee grinder or with a pestle and mortar. Store in an airtight container up to two months.

I do rub the meat with oil then sprinkle the garam masala...then rub it in.  Don't need it to be thick and pasty to be tasty.   In fact its better if its not laid on thick.

There's always Dizzy Pig's Red Eye Express, if you're looking for a good coffee based rub.

I've never thought about using garam masala as a BBQ rub, but it makes good sense. I have done Sate seasoning from Penzeys before. Love it as a chicken and pork rub. Just discovered their Berbere rub - nice Moroccan flavors (sort of like a Ras El Hanout) with a nice heat to it. Huge Penzeys fan - most of my spices in the pantry, outside of my BBQ rubs, come from them.

I also run mine through the coffee grinder because the first time, I didn't get the coffee grounds fine enough and was picking them out of my teeth for hours afterwards.  I grind it pretty fine before I'm satisfied-not quite a powder.  I've tried with the oil and without and didn't notice much difference.  I let it go usually 24+ hours if I can.  I use garlic powder and not chopped/fresh.  This is my go-to rub for beef and my wife won't let me switch.  Also, I know it's better fresh, but I grind a bunch and put it in a sealed mason jar and It tastes just fine.

Here's one of my most recent ones--I did use oil on this one.

post-1101-0-47940300-1405300844_thumb.jp