wilburpan

First pulled pork for me

I know that there are plenty of pulled pork writeups, but this is my first time ever trying out a low-and-slow cook. After the day of Korean BBQ, I tried my hand at cooking a Boston Butt for the first time. I used a basic procedure (coat the pork with rub, put it on the grill fat cap side down at 225ºF, and let it go until the internal temperature gets to 195-200ºF), and I used Melvin’s Bar-B-Que Dry Rub Shake, mainly because I had it on hand. This was given to me as a gift a while ago, and this was the first opportunity I had to use it.

Before:

15391843749_16368f97dc_c.jpg

After:

15392450947_3df61fdf3f_c.jpg

And pulled:

15579312842_d5c88a0329_c.jpg

It was delicious. We made pulled pork sliders with some friends for dinner tonight. 

The most interesting part of this was the logistics. When I started cooking the Korean BBQ, it was about 1 PM Saturday. I did a second round of cooking at about 4 PM. I knew I wanted to start the pulled pork yesterday evening to make sure it was done before our friends got here, but my grill’s thermometer was reading a good steady 450ºF even after the second round of cooking was done. I wound up starting the pork at 11 PM Saturday night at a temp of 225ºF. The pork was probe tender at 9:30 AM Sunday morning. I then grilled some Korean BBQ leftovers at about 4 PM that afternoon. 

I think my grill will really appreciate the break I’m giving it today. ^_^ It hasn’t been at ambient temperature for the past 30+ hours.

• Like 1

Pulled pork, my first cook on my KK. I did it in the driveway where the truck driver dropped it, still on the pallet, within an hour of receiving it. Had it all planned out. I always say it is the highest function of a KK. Won't be your last, Wilbur, will it? This is a cook to win your spouse over who can't believe how much you spent...