Johnny

Apple Pie

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I posted on here. Sorry. Seasons greetings to all.

On Christmas day here, we cooked a spatchcocked chicken on the Kamado. It was lovely. The family loved it.....so did I.

After our lunch, my daughter made an apple pie from scratch. She had the oven in the kitchen warming up to cook the pie.

The Kamado was shut down after I pulled the chicken out. As the daughter was nearly ready to put the apple pie in the oven, I looked at the temperature in the Kamado, and it was perfect for cooking the pie. So, we put it in the Kamado with it still in shut down mode.

35 minutes later we pulled the pie out, and it was fanstastic.

Just a suggestion for you to try next time.....

FYI, the Kamado was pre-heated for 2 hours prior to cooking the chook at 400℉. The chook was cooked for 1hr 25 minutes.

When the pie went in the kamado, the temp was at 350℉, and stayed steady at that temp during the pie cook.

Yes. Our oven broke just after our first ceramic cooker. I still remember that strawberry rhubarb pie.

Our most frequent KK use, again tonight, was bread. Never waste a fire, we put in our usual Spanish cazuela filled with potatoes, onions and spices. I was a little heavy-handed tonight with the pimenton, and boy do the potatoes smell good.

Believe this or not, when I remodeled the kitchen a number of years ago, it doesn't have a regular conventional oven, just a cooktop, microwave/conventional combo, and a small countertop convection oven. I rely upon the KK to do ALL of my major cooking that would go into a "regular oven." People freak out when I point this out. It works well for me. YMMV.

post-975-0-48981400-1419701810_thumb.jpg

The space below the cooktop, where the oven would normally be, has pull-out deep shelves for pots, pans, and lids.