Sav

Pizza

Save - now that's what I call a beautiful pizza pie! Beautiful, simply beautiful! Great crust!

Don't you just love that baking stone we've got?

How long have you had your KK BB? Looks almost new inside. Mine was pitch black at the end of about 10 cooks.

I was thinking the same thing. Mine looks like midnight inside. Great looking pies! Nicely done.

Thanks Pizza aficionados,

I was trying for that two minute cook but it needed that little longer to get that char on the base I like.

These shots were taken a when my BB was relatively new after the burn in process, rest assured my grill has developed that nice dark internal patina.

Although I was very happy with my first pizza cook on my KK,  these pizza were a little difficult to handle and ended up little too thick,  it was due to a combination too much very wet dough and the smallish paddle I have.

Next pizza cook I'll down size the amount of dough from 310 Grams to about 280 per pizza.....

Try using parchment paper. It makes moving the pies around super easy and it doesn't really interfere with crust development on the bottom. But, if you want, you can easily slid the pie off the paper after a minute and finish it directly on the stone. My experience has shown not a lot of difference between the two techniques.

• Like 1

Sav,

Not sure how you're building pizzas but I learned building the pie and then sliding it onto the peel makes for consistently perfect releases onto the hot stone.  Whereas, even if I was quick, building the pie atop the peel yielded as many disaster releases as it did perfect releases.  And building them off the peel...allows me to use less bench flour atop the peel.  And this results in zero to near zero bitter impart from the burnt flour on the bottom of the crust...

I vary my pies but generally use 350-375g balls for my Neapolitan pies (Italian sourdough; cold ferment).

One of the biggest improvements I saw, Neapolitan high temp pizza bakes related, came from using the KK stone.  I can't say it too many times for those that don't have one and are doing especially high temp Neapolitan style pizza bakes:  Dennis' stone (I've got the shaped stone) is light years ahead of any other pizza stone I've owned/used.  

Pie looks great BTW!

• Like 1

Tony - I love the baking stone I got with TheBeast. It's the best thing I've ever found for cooking pizzas, calzones, and breads. I don't know how Dennis did it, but the baking stone I simply aces. Pizzas have a great crunchy crust, breads cook evenly, deserts are wonderfully evenly done throughout. I've tried every kind of invention for baking pizza, bread, cakes, pies, etc and the KK baking stone works best.

I can confer with CC that the pizza stone is just the best....

Let the KK heat up with one lot of coal then put on a fresh batch for cooking and hold it at 650 dome for 2 hours while cooking.  New pizza every 5 minutes with a 5 minute rest in between to let the top of the stone get back up to temp.  

we never fail to have a house full of friends when we say Pizza night..

Some pictures from Superbowl night

Smoked Salmon and Capers again :) love this one 

post-1830-0-24962400-1423058332_thumb.jp

Turkeyoni mushroom and cheese

post-1830-0-04854200-1423058381_thumb.jp

Canadian bacon rosted peppers and cheese

post-1830-0-68912200-1423058417_thumb.jp

Everything else that was still left to cook including heirloom tomatoes 

post-1830-0-88843100-1423058453_thumb.jp

So for the really interested some thermal pic's of the KK while cooking pizza as well

Starting the KK off for some smoked chicken to go on later pizza

post-1830-0-61274900-1423058829_thumb.jp

Pizza stone getting up to temp.  You can see the temp of the lid behind it.

post-1830-0-05214500-1423058872_thumb.jp

Pizza on the stone it is quite amazing the difference in heat.  The stone is now up to temp and the same color as the rest of the grill

post-1830-0-15115300-1423058912_thumb.jp

finally just to compare from the first post here is the KK showing the heat of the whole thing when doing the pizza and how hot the outside can get after been cooking for 4 hours at 600+ f

post-1830-0-72290800-1423058969_thumb.jp

Sorry for the thread jacking

Davey, thatsa nicea lookin pizza, multo buono, bravo..

I like the idea of heat soaking the KK then restocking and then going on with the cook as I will uasally do it with the inital load and find myself rushing to get the pizzas through..

Like the thermal image too.. thanks

Hi Sav

Yep came up with that after having to many cooks that the last pizza was not the best and the first was been rushed to try and get 8 - 10 done before the coal ran out.  So decided start early and then load about 30 minutes before you want to start cooking to let the VOC burn off from the fresh coal and produce a nice clean heat.

Then you should be good to go for a couple of hours.