DaveyR

So long and thanks for all the fish

Tonight it was a slightly fishy dish.

Hot smoked salmon with trout as a chaser.  (They still had their tails)

Fresh on the KK

post-1830-0-53281700-1425347923_thumb.jp

a Nice smoke color starting to set in.  Everything cooked now.  Salmon 3 hour smoke and trout about 1

post-1830-0-71017500-1425347974_thumb.jp

On the platter waiting to be served.

post-1830-0-12697800-1425348004_thumb.jp

hhmm next time i think that i should use a bigger plate.  Everyone else had the head and the tail removed so not quite so far over the end.  Lemon pasta and pulled salad with grilled asparagus.

post-1830-0-06908200-1425348075_thumb.jp

post-1830-0-52846000-1425347849_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hi Go Frogs

I do a bit of a setup for Salmon.  

Normally do a dry brine 2 parts sugar to 1 part salt.  cover well with brine and then compress by putting something like beer or chopping block on it.  If doing whole filets then put in vacuum bag and seal to assist with getting nice contact.

Brine 3 - 4 hours then rinse for about 30 - 60 minutes.  Longer brine longer rinse as we dont live overly salty food.

Put in fridge uncovered at least over night to develop a good pelicule.  Should be slightly tacky to touch and skin should be slightly firm.  (You can add flavors like dill or cracked pepper when you put in fridge)(This helps to stop the fat from oozing out the top of the fish as a white sludge that will make the smoke run on the side and just looks meh)

Normally use alder or if i really like the people i am making it for then may brake out some of my manuaka :) 

If doing a warm smoke then put on about 200 for about 2 - 3 hours.  You can pull at 145 or when your beloved says that it is cooked.  (Can just use a fork to pull apart no special knifes needed)

If doing cold smoke then use one of my smoke generators.  (Smokia or amazin smoker) they get then about 30 hours of just smoke.  Once done needs to be cut with a salmon knife.  (Very thin and flexible blade)  cut it as thin as you can and just server on fresh crackers or eat straight off the knife.  A lot of people perfer the cold smoked a bit more salty.

You will find some like cold and some like hot.  (I live cold and wife likes it hot :) )

Hope that helps.

DaveyR - You mentioned the Smokia in your post. I've been looking at that unit and am curious if you attach it to your KK, and if so, how you make the attachment. It seems the BBQ Guru port would work fine for the outlet pipe, but can't think of an elegant way to secure it so it doesn't fall out or rotate.

17 hours ago, BBQKaeding said:

DaveyR - You mentioned the Smokia in your post. I've been looking at that unit and am curious if you attach it to your KK, and if so, how you make the attachment. It seems the BBQ Guru port would work fine for the outlet pipe, but can't think of an elegant way to secure it so it doesn't fall out or rotate.

If you are cold smoking with it, put the entire unit inside the KK on the floor (take out the charcoal basket) and run the air hose through the vent door.