MacKenzie

Steam Roasted Garlic

Steam Roasted Garlic

Place garlic bulk in a garlic baker with about ¼ inch of water.

Put the cover on the baker. If not using a garlic baker with a cover then cover the dish with foil.

Place in a 325F oven and bake for about 1 hour or until the garlic is soft.

Remove from oven and let cool.

Slice bulbs horizontally in half.

Squeeze out the softened garlic cloves.

Using the back of a spoon press the softened garlic cloves thru the strainer.

Store in fridge for up to 1 week.

Garlic roasted this way will be lighter in colour, sweeter and have less harsh flavour.

• Like 2

I don't consider my kitchen/pantry "stocked" unless I have a jar of roasted garlic around. I do mine in oil, so you get both products when you're done. Fill small mason jars with whole, peeled garlic cloves and cover with canola oil, then into canning rack in the pressure cooker for about 45 minutes, with the jar lids on, just like you'd can veggies. Jars keep in the pantry for months. I load up at CostCo (3# bags of garlic - oh yeah, baby!) and do a batch about twice a year. They make nice Christmas presents, too!

When I open a jar, I separate out the oil into a small bottle and used as a finishing/flavoring oil. I toss the roasted garlic cloves into the food processor and pulse into a smooth paste. Back into the jar and cover with some fresh oil. Will keep in the fridge for weeks.

Like CC said, I can't imagine mashed potatoes without a big spoonful of roasted garlic paste in them! 

• Like 1

Thanks I needed ideas for garlic. Last fall I planted 200 cloves of garlic for the first time. I think I went over board.

tiny - what would make you think that?  LOL!!

I think you can never have too much garlic.  You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much garlic!