ckreef

Reef's Pizza Dough Recipes

Unleavened Cracker Crust

A quick and simple, very thin, cracker style crust. Great for specialty or desert pizzas. Also good when you just don't have any time and want a quick pizza.

Makes two 12" pizzas.

260 grams All Purpose Flout (I use King Arthur)

1/2 Tbsp Table Salt

1/4 cup Oil (EVOO acceptable but any cooking oil will do)

170 grams Milk (I use whole milk)

Cook at 375* - 400* on a pizza stone.

Using a fork mix all ingredients together until a fairly smooth consistency. Divide into 2 dough balls. On a floured work surface roll out a dough ball. Keep rolling until it gets really thin. (no yeast means no rise time)

Par-bake the crust  for a couple of mins until the bottom is browned (should only take 2 or 3 mins). The dough will bubble up after about 60-90 seconds so pop the bubbles with a fork. Once the bottom is browned remove and allow to cool for a couple of mins. Repeat for the second dough ball.

Flip the par-baked dough over so the browned side is up. Build your pizza but keep the toppings to a limited amount. Bake for an additional couple of minuets until the toppings are done to your satisfaction.

I kept the actual cooking times sort of vague for this recipe. The different steps happens quick and actual times depends on your exact temp and weather you are high up in the dome or down low on the grate. Keep an eye on it, you can't hardly go wrong.

If using a Blackstone set it as low as possible with both the front knob and the red knob. If cooking indoors par-bake the crust with the pizza stone low in the oven and cook the toppings with the pizza stone high in the oven.

post-1832-0-98595300-1431874922_thumb.jp

post-1832-0-33263400-1431874930_thumb.jp

post-1832-0-66341600-1431874927_thumb.jp

Sicilian Pan Pizza

A Sicilian style pan pizza. Thick, light crust capable of supporting a lot of toppings. Best used for supreme type pizzas. A one to three day refrigerator rise is needed so prepare your dough ahead of time.

Makes one 12" square pizza (I used a 11" square pan, 8" x 13" pan would work but crust would be a little thicker)

400 grams All Purpose Flour (I used King Arthur)

1/2 Tbsp Sugar

1 tsp Table Salt

1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast

212 grams Warm Water

In a standup mixer using a mixing paddle combine the above ingrediants for about 1 minute.

Add 24 grams oil (EVOO acceptable but any cooking oil will do) and combine for an additional 1 minute. Switch to a dough hook and kneed for 15 - 20 minutes.  Refrigerator rise for 1 to 3 days.

On pizza night start 3 hours before dinner time. Remove from refrigerator and sit on counter for 1 hour.

Spread dough into your lightly greased pan. You may have to work it for a few minutes until it conforms to the pan. Make it an even layer without any extra on the edges. Allow to rise in the pan for an additional 2 hours without disturbing it.

post-1832-0-67979800-1431875207_thumb.jp

Gently add your toppings. Try not to deflate the dough when doing this. You can add a lot of toppings so have fun with it.

post-1832-0-31129900-1431875213_thumb.jp

Bake at 400* - 450* for about 20 minutes until the toppings are done. The middle of the pizza should have risen as much as the edges - if not, continue cooking for a few additional minutes. This is a very forgiving crust so actual cook times is not important, you just want the toppings done and the entire crust to have risen evenly.

If using a Blackstone set it on low with both the front knob and the red knob. If cooking inside use the middle oven rack.

post-1832-0-01273200-1431875223_thumb.jp

Chicago Deep Dish

Chicago style deep dish pizza. Thick dense crust built upside down. Best used for a meat lover pizza.

Makes one 10" round pie.

200 grams All Purpose Flour (I used King Arthur)

126 grams Warm Water

30 grams Oil (EVOO is acceptable but any cooking oil will do)

1/4 tsp Rapid Rise Yeast

1/4 tsp Table Salt

1/4 tsp Sugar

In a standup mixer bowl dissolve sugar and salt into the warm water.

Add yeast, oil and a small amount of the flour. Using a mixing paddle combine until you have a thick batter. Add the remaining flout and continue mixing until all ingredients are combined.

Switch to a dough hook and kneed for an additional 1 - 2 minutes. (Do not over kneed). If it looks smooth but ball hasn't formed yet remove from dough hook and form ball by hand.

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and counter rise for 1 - 2 hours until dough has doubled in size.

Spread into your lightly greased pan. Spread it evenly across the bottom but pinch a thin amount all the way up the sides. You may have to work it a few times until the dough remains stretched properly in the pan.

Building your upside down pie - the important part. For these pizzas, more is usually better.

Start by adding a layer of thick sliced mozzarella cheese directly on top of the dough (no separate picture). next add a decent layer of pre-cooked Italian sausage (don't over cook the sausage)

post-1832-0-75486900-1431875493_thumb.jp

Add a generous layer of pizza sauce and some shaker cheese.

post-1832-0-55947000-1431875502_thumb.jp

Bake at 400* - 450* for 15 mins. Pull then add any additional toppings.

post-1832-0-75216900-1431875507_thumb.jp

Bake an additional 10 - 15 minutes until the additional toppings are done. Allow to cool for 5  minutes. Remove to a cutting board and slice.

If using a Blackstone set it on low with both the front knob and the red knob. If cooking inside use the middle oven rack.

post-1832-0-06601800-1431875511_thumb.jp

post-1832-0-51784700-1431875514_thumb.jp

Got three dough recipes posted. Will do the Neo-Neapolitan sometime in the future.

Doing this on my pc i have the dreaded small picture syndrome -- was there ever a resolution to this? Doesn't happen when I post from my phone using tapatalk.

Well, I tried the cracker crust pizza for dinner last night. I have some practicing to do.

First, I used King Arthur Pizza Flour, which has some durum flour and baking powder in it along with the AP, so that might have had an influence on the outcome. The dough was super easy to work with; however, the crust tasted more like the bottom of a biscuit (or pie crust) than a crispy cracker. They didn't puff up or bubble during the par-bake either. I rolled them out with a rolling pin to about an 1/8" thick, 12" diameter (not totally round) - too thick???

Also, I was using a new pizza stone for the first time. It's a ceramic, but has a glazed surface. I think it will take longer to heat up than I'm used to with my old, uncoated ones. I heat soaked everything @ 375F for an hour before I par-baked the crusts. The stone was on the upper grate. Tried to give several minutes of rebound time between cooks, too. Every step took several minutes longer than I expected. I even cranked the KK up to 400F dome to cook the toppings on the second pie. This helped, but I still wasn't happy with the results. Hence, no pics! 

From an old cartoon that I enjoyed in my childhood - "Help me Mr. Wizard!!!"

I don't know about using pizza flour, that might have caused problems. I have always had it bubble up a good bit.

1/8" should be OK. I keep rolling until I get them as thin as reasonably possible.

There are a few other people on the Guru using this recipe with good results so I'm inclined to blame the flour( the extra additives in that flour). Next time try straight AP flour - I use king Arthur.

I'm going to give it a try. The dough is mixed up and the toppings are ready. Stay tuned, but first and adult beverage that way if it fails at least I'll be happy. :happy7::happy7::happy7:

I sure hope it works for you. I use it all the time. The latest pizza bite appetizer used the Cracker crust.

Holding my breath ...........................

Here we go-

I made this sauce for the first time last night-

San Marzano Tomato Pizza Sauce Recipe

http://www.thehomepizzeria.com/recipes/san-marzano-tomato-pizza-sauce-recipe/

Tip: mind what the recipe says about the size of the garlic:)

CJmKLMF.jpg

WExcGhX.jpg

fzWzXQp.jpg

This crust that started out 12 inches in diameter but with the giggling to get it into the oven it is more like 11 inches. This shot shows the bubbling up and I have already docked it twice.

SeipFEP.jpg

One side is cooked, although I'd set the oven hotter next time 400- 425F

i2lTVcN.jpg

Dressed with red peppers, mushrooms, pepperoni and ready for the oven.

4fertuK.jpg

Baked.

8MfFHwI.jpg

Bottom of cooked pizza.

DtCLr5s.jpg

Slice of pizza, almost there;)

jjppcnb.jpg

First bite-

c2lkyCR.jpg

I'm going to claim the title, First Graduate of ckreef's Bistro Academy :sign5:

It was delicious and I will improve with the next 2 or 3 that I make. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

ckreef, BREATH :smt041  :smt045

I'm going to claim the title, First Graduate of ckreef's Bistro Academy :sign5:

It was delicious and I will improve with the next 2 or 3 that I make. :thumbup::thumbup:

ckreef, BREATH :smt041:smt045

Really good looking Cracker crust. The bubbling looked spot on. Pizza looked awesome.

Graduated with a 4.0 - needed that breath of fresh air.

Seriously glad it worked out. Just a quick and easy pizza dough. Works really well for an appetizer pizza since it's not overly filling. The original idea, came from me trying to replicate Red Lobster's - lobster pizza appetizer.

Let me know if you have any tweaks you feel improve it.

ck, it is a great recipe, :thumbup:  :thumbup:  easy, quick and tastes great. I used 2% milk because that is all I had other than that no changes in ingredients. I'll start with a hotter oven next time, probably 400F. I ate 3/4 of it for supper, fortunately I was home alone :smt045

Now I need to try the other pizza recipes you posted, well, after I do this one for another time or two. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

I don't know about using pizza flour, that might have caused problems. I have always had it bubble up a good bit. 1/8" should be OK. I keep rolling until I get them as thin as reasonably possible. There are a few other people on the Guru using this recipe with good results so I'm inclined to blame the flour( the extra additives in that flour). Next time try straight AP flour - I use king Arthur.

Thanks! I'll start there. I'll also pre-heat that new stone longer and at probably 400F. 

I guess that makes me the first Bistro Academy failure!  :sad2:

Impressive MacKenzie, as always! At least my homemade tomato sauce came out OK, even if my crust didn't. Similar recipe, but mine's a cooked sauce. I used canned diced organic tomatoes, so didn't need the food mill (nice touch though!).

I guess that makes me the first Bistro Academy failure!  :sad2:

No, you just have to do the supplementary :sign5:

tony, once you switch all the flour to all purpose flour, I think you will be just fine. I just made some spaghetti and used that sauce for it. I'm pretty impressed with it taste wise and it is so simple. It needs to sit overnight in the fridge before using and if one likes garlic it sure comes through more than I thought it would. There is a warning in the recipe about that but I thought is can't be that strong. I was wrong, although I still really enjoyed it. I think I'll make more and freeze some so that I'll have it on hand for quick pizzas or spaghetti.

There's no such thing as "too much garlic!!"

In fact, I just finished making a garlic & chile paste with the leftovers from a Mongolian Hot Pot soup. The recipe calls for 20 - Yes, TWENTY, cloves of garlic and about a cup of chopped asian red chiles, plus about a tbl of chili oil. I put them into a cheesecloth pouch so I can retrieve them afterwards to make this paste. I just toss the garlic cloves and chiles into the processor and pulse while drizzling in some oil. Not only is it a nice hot garlic paste, but it has the flavors from the soup - star anise, clove, sichuan peppercorns, cardamom, cumin, ginger, goji berries, and fermented black beans. I use it in all sorts of dishes. Makes a tasty mayo for roast beef sandwiches!