tinyfish

The inaugural cook

I bought a nice 40 day dry aged Prime rib roast for my inaugural cook. I cut the bones off and placed rosemary in between the bones and meat and rubbed with Eat Barbeque sweet rub. post-2313-0-57499400-1434323880_thumb.jp

My original cook was to be a rotisserie. I over came the rain had my prime rib loaded in the cradle loaded it in the KK and then this...my motor is not strong enough to spin the cradle...####. I had to pull the meat out of the cradle load the heat deflector and drip pan and cooked the roast indirect.post-2313-0-81614700-1434324376_thumb.jp

That little fiasco set me back a little so I had to bump up the heat a little and the roast didn't have a chance to rest but still good none the less. The roast is ready to come offpost-2313-0-12258100-1434324526_thumb.jp

The roast was pulled at 136f cooked perfect for me since I like my meat well done (I know I know) the middle was medium, would have been better if the roast had a half hour rest but everyone wouldn't wait. The roast had a killer smoke ring. I used two chunks of peach wood.post-2313-0-32818400-1434324823_thumb.jp

I fixed myself a plate and thats the end of my cook. Thats not my plate too much blood in that meat for me...post-2313-0-55655300-1434324989_thumb.jp

tinyfish, wow, that roast looks delicious and just look at that moisture and the huge smoke ring. :occasion9:  :occasion8:  Dinner plate looks lovely. :thumbup:  :thumbup: I'll have to admit I'm with you on meat that is more on the well done side. That is why I like SVed beef, it can have the same texture and look of medium or rare but it is totally cooked. If this is the beginning cook just wait until you've had the grill for a while. :)

That roast looks great Tiny. What temperature did you end up cooking it at?

About those clean walls and grate. Time to plan the next cook to get some seasoning on those!

I had it around 300f but when I pulled the cradle and put the heat deflector and grills in it dropped to about 225f for a good half hour or more. It climbed back to 325f till cooked.

Damm good looking problem cook. Now you know "Komodo Kamado Will Do if You Will Do"

I know you gave ????? a couple of pats and a few good words.

CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!!

by the way - try unit again sometimes they hang up (no known reason)

Congrats on the KK! Funny I was just making a few shouts on the forum regarding the rotisserie....sorry to hear the motor kind of konked out. On my end (KK 23) I just got my "missing parts" for the rotisserie basket that never were sent to me such as the mounting bracket, shafts and springs. What a tease.....I did buy th One Grill motor though and today I was attempting to get this thing up and running but having big problems. For starters the mounting bracket will not align with the hole (too high)...also not sure of the rest of the assembly regarding the springs and shafts. Anyhow if you feel you can pass on any advice to me I would appreciate the help as I am brand new to the KK world as well. Again all the best with yours and many happy cooks.

Congrats on the KK! Funny I was just making a few shouts on the forum regarding the rotisserie....sorry to hear the motor kind of konked out. On my end (KK 23) I just got my "missing parts" for the rotisserie basket that never were sent to me such as the mounting bracket, shafts and springs. What a tease.....I did buy th One Grill motor though and today I was attempting to get this thing up and running but having big problems. For starters the mounting bracket will not align with the hole (too high)...also not sure of the rest of the assembly regarding the springs and shafts. Anyhow if you feel you can pass on any advice to me I would appreciate the help as I am brand new to the KK world as well. Again all the best with yours and many happy cooks.

The thread piece for the cradle with the round end can adjust in and out. Adjust this piece so the the other end of the cradle with the hex end just skins the inside of the KK. The shaft that goes in the motor also adjusts in and out. I adjusted this piece so I had a good amount in the body of the KK and inside the motor. I only needed less then a 1/4" of the spring so I cut it. Not sure if I should have did that but I had a good fit in the motor and KK. My shaft piece for the motor had the wrong direction thread so Dennis said just snug the nut down tight or you can use some lock tite or crazy glue on the threads. I hope when my new motor comes my shaft will work with out trying break the glued threads.