bryan

Or ask for help learning a technique!

You would have to have something to catch the water just in case there was a leak or it could be a disaster for the grill, that's my 2 cents:) Something else is you want to maintain the exact temp. you would not want it to go up or down from the set temp. even a couple of degrees will make a big difference in you steaks appearance. I just don't think it is practical and in the water bag the water is continually circulating to keep the entire contents at the same temperature. The circulators are coming way down in price and for the convenience is well worth the price. That's my 2 cents ;)

• Like 1

I've not had with of my KKs as low as 185, but I image it could be done. This just might work.

Drill hole thru lump and stack on rod. Dennis's product cures the stack problem with ease. I have fought the temp down super low. See else posted on forum. With the gas attachment how low can you go?

I don't know this wont work that's my problem. We can try just might work. Could open up a new method.

• Like 1

Vac packed burger in 200* oven. We'll see. Mashed burger as in smashed.

If it works will do some veg's next. My mind is causing problems with thoughts of butter, spice, cheese, syrup and all kinds of weird combos mellowing out in a vac bag.

Vac packed burger in 200* oven. We'll see. Mashed burger as in smashed.

If it works will do some veg's next. My mind is causing problems with thoughts of butter, spice, cheese, syrup and all kinds of weird combos mellowing out in a vac bag.

cooked 10 min @ 200.

Way over cooked, MUCH liquid, zero effect on bag. No bag swelling.

Seems to relate to water less cooking.

Why not Komodo Kamada? Will it do - If we will do?

My 2 cents is it's not worth the futzing it would require..

If you can afford the delivery on a KK..

You can buy an Annova at $199

;-)

It's not the money. It's the going from the known to the unknown. Inquisitive minds want to know.

A lot of SV cooking is done in the danger zone, 40F-140F and so one needs to stick to certain tried and true techniques to avoid problems that may cause food poisoning. I'll mention a couple of things. There is a limit to how thick the meat can be in order for the transfer of heat from the water to the centre of the meat is done in a reasonable amount of time. When cooking is done you need to cool the bag and contends in ice water if they are not going to be eaten immediately. The reason for that is the contents are in an air tight bag, ideal for the growth anaerobic bacteria. Done correctly it is a wonderful technique but it needs to be done safely. Personally I would only do ground beef that I had ground myself and never from the store as it is very likely to have a much higher bacteria count than beef I've ground from a roast. These things and others apply to veggies as well as meat, etc. Again, that's my 2 cents:)

• Like 1

I suggest more research be done on todays recommended internal meat temps, and the effect of time held at temp. 

Vegetables do not profit a lot from Sous Vide. Most seem to cook at around 185F no matter how cooked.   I have 2 Sous Vide machines I have used extensively for years. For what its worth Sous Vide can be done in the oven. Sous Vide can also be done with a Nu Wave unit. I get all my meat at a military commissary so don't need to worry about my local stores unsafe meat counter

Side note:

Biscuit cutter works wonders to cut 2oz gb patties direct from store meat tray.

Almost all homebrewers use thermally insulated coolers to mash (steep) their grain, typically at temperatures similar to sous vide cooking. So I'm not surprised the technique could be converted to a simpler (cheaper) method for SV cooking. But, it will only work for those cooks that are short (a few hours). You couldn't use it to do a brisket or other cut that needs many hours (>24 hrs) in the SV bath to cook. 

I've never attempted veggies in the SV bath, other than to use the hot water after another SV cook to quick blanch broccoli and asparagus. So I see the point. 

I get all my meat at a military commissary so don't need to worry about my local stores unsafe meat counter

OK, I'll bite, what's the basis for this assertion? 

Almost all homebrewers use thermally insulated coolers to mash (steep) their grain, typically at temperatures similar to sous vide cooking. So I'm not surprised the technique could be converted to a simpler (cheaper) method for SV cooking. But, it will only work for those cooks that are short (a few hours). You couldn't use it to do a brisket or other cut that needs many hours (>24 hrs) in the SV bath to cook. 

I've never attempted veggies in the SV bath, other than to use the hot water after another SV cook to quick blanch broccoli and asparagus. So I see the point. 

OK, I'll bite, what's the basis for this assertion? 

I am under the impression that gb needs 165f temp for instant killing of bacteria.  This is due to its new surface area exposure from being ground. All of these temps to me seem related to meat kept out over 4 hours. Meats in the high 130s and low 140s are perfectly safe depending on how long maintained at the low temps.

My assertion is not related to your post.

Some do and some don't use the cold water bath.

I think as long as product remains at temp texture continues to be affected so I use the cold water bath.

Cooking is an individual sport. 

I join forums to share ideas.

My idea was a suggestion for experiments of cooking sous vide on the KK and possibly finding fun an neat new recipes for the KK.

Sous Vide as I understand it means under pressure not under water.

Water is just a good conductor of heat.

My intent was to find new and wonderful ways to cook on my Komodo Kamado and to share the idea with forum members. The idea may  well not work but I get to play with something I love doing. That is cooking on my Komodo Kamado.

I don't accept that it can't go to bigger and better cooks. I like to cook and so does my Komodo Kamado.

It Will Do - If I Will Do

Are there new and different cooks for us to discover or have we maxed out.

No breads. No Sweets = No ????? (fun)

I have been with Dennis for most of the ride. I lived the suggestions and the improvements as they came into being.

Hell of a story that someone should write. Best seller just sitting there for the doing.

The Komodo Kamado Emerged from a hell of a lot of thought and work. It is not and never was intended to be limited, as such it is what customers have come to know and expect in a Komodo Kamado.

It is not time to get off the bus and accept that there are no improved cooking methods or improvements in the Komodo Kamado future.

How long since we have sent Dennis a suggestion of what we would like to see or have either on or with the Komodo Kamado.

I'm a company man with no vote, no power, no stock or a chair at the table. I am also a owner of the best space age cooker in the world and a customer of the company owner who never hesitates to take my calls and listen to what I have say.

• Like 1