tinyfish

Umai dry age bags

This is my first go at the Umai Dry Age bags.

I started with a 10.5Lb boneless striploin. After 35 days in the Umai bag I was left with 7.40 Lbs before trimming. post-2313-0-66816500-1436649992_thumb.jp

The steaks before trimmingpost-2313-0-04673500-1436650086_thumb.jp

After trimming I was left with 4.20Lbs of dry aged striploin.post-2313-0-53978100-1436650194_thumb.jppost-2313-0-41991400-1436650230_thumb.jppost-2313-0-67624300-1436650259_thumb.jp

My price breakdown. I paid $120 or $12Lb for a USDA Prime striploin after shrinkage and waste my per pound price is $29Lb. For me I can buy dry aged Canadian Prime for $19Lb I get a good price from my butcher.

For someone who can't get dry aged or the price is too much then try the Umai bags. The meat has that nice dry aged aroma. My advice would be to age a bone in rib roast with the fat cap. The bones and the fat cap will protect the meat which will result in less waste. The striploin has no fat cap protecting the one side so you have good meat that gets wasted.

Stay tuned tomorrow I will be eating some. I've been out of town for about 10 days so I need some KK time.

What did you do with the trimmings?  

I dont cook steak without dry aging it anymore, and strip loin is my preferred cut.  I always hate to waste the meaty portion of the trimming - the end slices off the primal, and the underside where there isnt any fat.  I started saving it in the freezer, and have been adding some to the mix when I grind beef for burgers.  The trimmings give the burgers a little layer of the rich, aged taste.  I will also use it when making stock - I just hate to throw it away.  Since you are using a bag, you shouldnt have any concerns with mold or any other "nasties" getting on the meat while it ages.  (I dont use bags, and have never seen any mold at all, but I dont go 35 days either.  21 is about as far as I like to go)

What did you do with the trimmings?

I dont cook steak without dry aging it anymore, and strip loin is my preferred cut. I always hate to waste the meaty portion of the trimming - the end slices off the primal, and the underside where there isnt any fat. I started saving it in the freezer, and have been adding some to the mix when I grind beef for burgers. The trimmings give the burgers a little layer of the rich, aged taste. I will also use it when making stock - I just hate to throw it away. Since you are using a bag, you shouldnt have any concerns with mold or any other "nasties" getting on the meat while it ages. (I dont use bags, and have never seen any mold at all, but I dont go 35 days either. 21 is about as far as I like to go)

I've gone 35 days with open air dry ageing. As long as you keep the humidity below 80% you shouldn't have any mold issues. I've always tried to maintain 70% - 75% humidity.

Interesting idea about the trimmings although at 35 days the trimmings get pretty tough.

I've gone 35 days with open air dry ageing. As long as you keep the humidity below 80% you shouldn't have any mold issues. I've always tried to maintain 70% - 75% humidity.

Interesting idea about the trimmings although at 35 days the trimmings get pretty tough.

At 35 days in the bag the outer layer is very very hard.