tinyfish

Wok cooking in a 23"KK

I’m not a big fan of the idea of using a kamado as a heat source for wok cooking. You want a hot heat source that is concentrated at the lower part of the wok that you can turn up and down as needed. Getting enough heat is an important part of stir frying, but you also will want to be able to apply low heat to foods as well. (At least that’s how traditional Chinese cuisine works.)

A kamado doesn’t really fulfill either criteria very well, unless you were to use a large wok on a mini-sized kamado, and you were willing to control the heat by lifting the wok off the grill when needed. From that point, a turkey fryer would be much better.

I’m not a big fan of the idea of using a kamado as a heat source for wok cooking. You want a hot heat source that is concentrated at the lower part of the wok that you can turn up and down as needed. Getting enough heat is an important part of stir frying, but you also will want to be able to apply low heat to foods as well. (At least that’s how traditional Chinese cuisine works.)

A kamado doesn’t really fulfill either criteria very well, unless you were to use a large wok on a mini-sized kamado, and you were willing to control the heat by lifting the wok off the grill when needed. From that point, a turkey fryer would be much better.

I have to agree with you on this.

I have an outdoor, propane Wok that is similar to a turkey fryer but has flip up (sm) arms to hold a Wok properly. If I remember correctly it is a 80,000 btu burner so it can get crazy hot and with a turn of the valve gets really low too.

Also woks need to be carbon steel or SS - NOT CI.

CI holds heat to well. You need the ability to remove the Wok from the heat source for an almost instant cool down which is only achieved with carbon steel (the best) or SS (a decent alternative)

tinyfish, I have seen people fill up a Weber chimney and sit that in a grill and set the wok on top of the chimney but I have no personal experience with the method.

I have done this. (not on KK) The intense heat needed is not only great but fast. I had a welder make me a unit from scrap pipe with holes for rebar and vents.