GrillingMontana

I thought it was a picnic

I thought it was a picnic roast.  Frankly, I do not remember.  

Only thing that is for sure is that I ordered this slab custom from a local meat packer.  

Turns out pork is almost never sold in these parts with the skin on. The butcher told me he would have to "scald" one for me which sounded interesting.  I placed my order on a post-it note that got stuck to some well seasoned trim surrounding the picture window in the butchers office. 

About 6 weeks after leaving the cryptic order, I got the call.  "Yep- we got those pork roasts with the skin the way you wanted em...  how did you want em again"?

They cut a couple of these on the band saw in front of me and away I went.  I believe the piggy was slaughtered and parted out into primal that same day, and I was pretty stoked.

The meat went on at 250 for about 8 or 9 hours until it hit 198F.  Then I jacked the heat to over 500F to get the skin to crisp and bubble up.  Unfortunately, SWMBO despises pulled pork, but I predict this will be done again.

post-2171-0-40207800-1437318195_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-07190200-1437318267_thumb.jp

post-2171-0-94547100-1437318310_thumb.jp

thanks for looking!  P-

Yep, looks like a "fresh" ham to me. Or pork shoulder. They typically go for around 99 cents a pound here but can fluctuate by around 25 cents up or down. That 500 degree hit you did to it made what we call cracklin down here in Cajun country. And it's delicious. I'd go for your pork roast any day!

• Like 1

I am so freaking jealous! The only time I tried to do a skin-on pork belly, I couldn't get the skin to crisp and puff up like that - hats off!!!   :salute:

I have failed many times with pork belly.  Completely inedible.  I have a slab in the freezer i may try and redeem myself with. That pork skin is a fickle son of a gun-

Can I ask what camera/lens you used to take those photos? They are ace, love the shallow depth of field you got on the last one, almost like you used a macro lens for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much for the kind words!  I use the Costco kit dslr Nikon d3200 and I believe the lens is a Sigma 30mm 1:1.4.  Strangely enough as much as I know better than shooting in anything other than manual, I have found an auto setting on the camera that is aces for shooting what I make on the KK.  It is the speed-sports-guy sprinting setting and I almost always use it.  I just shot almost all of my cookbook with that Costco camera and knock off lens setup :)

Thank you so much for the kind words! I use the Costco kit dslr Nikon d3200 and I believe the lens is a Sigma 30mm 1:1.4. Strangely enough as much as I know better than shooting in anything other than manual, I have found an auto setting on the camera that is aces for shooting what I make on the KK. It is the speed-sports-guy sprinting setting and I almost always use it. I just shot almost all of my cookbook with that Costco camera and knock off lens setup :)

Well it's just perfect! I've been planning to get a DSLR as the old film one is now pretty much useless! Will look at trying a similar lens set up for food shots as that last one of yours is epic!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk