LarryR

KK on Spray Deck

Just wrapped-up Phase I of our backyard in the new house - Pool, simple landscaping (more to come next year), 22 tons of decorative rock and 2,200 sq ft of concrete sprayed with spray deck (similar to Kool Deck). We wanted to do pavers but in the Vegas sun they' just get too hot. Travertine was also an option but too slippery when wet.

Does anyone have kool deck or spray decking and have placed their KK on it? Other than the rubber wheels marking it which I think will fade in time under the sun I put a rubber mat in front of mine so any sparks coming out from lump wouldn't damage the cook deck and three days later when I pulled the rubber mat up it left spots of black rubber all over the area it was covering. Decking guy had to come out and scrape it and reapply the spray deck. What are others using under their KK's on spray decking?

This is a temporary solution as next spring we plan on building and outdoor kitchen that will house the KK.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide. I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm working with. In one of the pictures on you can see my KK and the area I'm going to keep her temporarily.

EDIT: Not sure why the pictures are so big when you click on them, maybe it's my browser.

post-319-0-50442400-1437437441_thumb.jpg

post-319-0-33839600-1437437456_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, actually did what they call an "owner/builder" by passed the pool company and served as my own GC. Had pool designed, plans drawn-up, structural engineering done, permitted and then I hired subs for the excavation, plumbing, steel, electric, shotcrete, tile, plaster and decking. Subs were all subs that do work for the major pool companies in town. In-fact, often times they'd be heading from my job to pool builders job. Had my ups and downs but overall good experience, saved quite a bit of money and didn't have to deal with a pool builder whenever we wanted to make a change on the fly.

Also saved a lot of money on things like umbrella holders, installed 11 on the decking and four in the pool. Who knows how much a pool builder would have charged for those. Also upgraded all our equipment vs. what pool builders were quoting us.

First picture is taken from a pad I had poured for a gazebo, that's our next project. Going to go vegas style - misters, couches, fridge, fan, speakers maybe a TV. Taking a break for a couple of weeks to enjoy the pool and not have contractors in our backyard everyday. Outdoor kitchen will be installed to the right and behind where the KK is now. I have a good size side yard over there, probably about 2,000 + sq ft. that right now is just grass that I have to water/waste. I say waste due to the drought and the fact we don't go over there. Water company will give me a credit if I remove the grass and put something else in, can you say outdoor kitchen and putting green!

Larry - an absolutely beautiful back yard. I see the KK is smart enough to find a spot in the shade.

When will you be posting more videos? I've always enjoyed them and they played a nontrivial part in my decision to get a KK.

Now that the backyard is in I'm going to get back to doing some cooks and will definitely record them. Honestly, prior to finishing the backyard I wouldn't go out there, hated it, it was just dirt and some garbage landscaping the previous owners put in prior to selling trying to get more money out of the house. It was so bad I just had my landscape guy come in and remove it all. Honesly, I'd paid them more money not to attempt a DIY landscape hack.

Anyway, will be doing a pizza cook shortly and will do some others. Remember, they're raw and I can't always promise great quality at the end of the video of you know what I mean ;)

Larry, where ya been?? In my experience, a pressure washer will take off the wheel marks. Was the deck sprayed with color mixed, or was it painted after the fact?? Not that it matters, I'm just curious!

Robert

Been fixing my damn yard LOL! Kidding of course, just hated going into the backyard so I didn't do much cooking over the past weeks.

It was sprayed on a week after concrete was poured. Color is called Baja Sand.

That’s a great space you’ve created for your home! It looks beautiful.

As far as the Spray Deck question goes, the best thing would be to contact the manufacturer. Tell them that you have a really heavy grill and want to know how the Spray Deck will hold up to the weight and occasional sparks. You may be surprised — it could be that after a 2 week cure or so, there’s no problem at all. In any case, they would have the most experience with how their product holds up over time and under various stresses.

That’s a great space you’ve created for your home! It looks beautiful.

As far as the Spray Deck question goes, the best thing would be to contact the manufacturer. Tell them that you have a really heavy grill and want to know how the Spray Deck will hold up to the weight and occasional sparks. You may be surprised — it could be that after a 2 week cure or so, there’s no problem at all. In any case, they would have the most experience with how their product holds up over time and under various stresses.

Excellent idea, don't know why I didn't think of that, too close to the project I suppose.

Been fixing my damn yard LOL! Kidding of course, just hated going into the backyard so I didn't do much cooking over the past weeks.

It was sprayed on a week after concrete was poured. Color is called Baja Sand.

The color is beautiful. What I'm curious about though, was the color mixed in with the spray deck, or was it painted after the deck was sprayed? If it was mixed in, you'll have no problems with deck finish, if painted after the spray, you could potentially chip the paint.

Robert

The color is beautiful. What I'm curious about though, was the color mixed in with the spray deck, or was it painted after the deck was sprayed? If it was mixed in, you'll have no problems with deck finish, if painted after the spray, you could potentially chip the paint.

Robert

Ah, I understand. It was a two step process 1) After concrete had been down a week they came out and sprayed a texture layer down 2) Came back a day or two later and layed down the color. First step was done using a machine that spit out the texture material and then guys went around with hand tools and spread it around on the decking. Second step was almost like painting.

And yes, it chips, I've already had them back to fix damage done by my landscaper running wheelbarrows over it. Man was I pissed when I found out they'd done that when they were supposed to use a bobcat around the decking to distribute the rock. Unfortuanatly we were out of town when they did the landscaping so we were not here to supervise.

I have about 1/2 gallon of the color material left and I ordered a gallon just to have on hand so I can stay on top of any chips as they arise. We really would hav preferred pavers, so durrable and if you have an issue with one you pull it out and replace it. This stuff I'm planning on having to redo at least every 4 - 5 years to keep it looking nice. Hopefully staying on top of any chipping will help.

That's the way mine was done recently. I don't get it. About five years ago, I built a pool, and the deck guys mixed the color in with the deck material, the chipping wasn't a problem! I guess the advantage of the other is possibly changing colors in the future?

There is no substitute as far as temperature though, not even close. Your feet will thank you.

Robert

That's the way mine was done recently. I don't get it. About five years ago, I built a pool, and the deck guys mixed the color in with the deck material, the chipping wasn't a problem! I guess the advantage of the other is possibly changing colors in the future? There is no substitute as far as temperature though, not even close. Your feet will thank you. Robert

In terms of temp you're right. My driveway is pavers and when we were making our decision we walked on it barefoot on a relativly warm day (not 105+ like we often get, proably closer to high 90s) and it was just way to hot. We didn't want to be tracking down flip flops all the time by the pool, also we have one grandson and I'm sure we'll have more grandchildren down the road and worried about them running around on scortching pavers. For us there was no question the pavers look better, lower longterm cost etc. but living in this climate there was only one choice for us.

• Like 1