Rak

Do you cook on multiple levels?

Ok, I'm spending way more time on this KK board then I should be!!

In the name of 'research'....one of the features of a KK is cooking real estate, because of the ability to cook on multiple levels.

Is this practical?  For example, say I have the 23" and want to cook ribs on the lower grate and main level grate, does this work?  Isn't the temp on the lower grate going to be higher because it is closer to the fire?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm curious! 

Thanks!

It won't be as drastic, the kk is so well insulated, once it's soaked, there's not much heat differential at low temps.

There's also another grate that can be used either on the firebox, or as a grate above the upper grate. Wilbur posted a pic where he did just that, with great success.

Robert

Wilburpan posted a recent rib cook on the main grate and upper grate and I'll post one here of the same.

As Robert said low and slow no problem you can probably use all three levels for low and slow worst case one time you would have interchange the food from the lowest grill...maybe. next time I do ribs I'll cook them on all three levels for a test.post-2313-0-32941900-1440095378_thumb.jppost-2313-0-89549700-1440095446_thumb.jppost-2313-0-64669800-1440095464_thumb.jp

Thanks Tinyfish!  Its really impressive the cooking estate you get on the grill...

Wth the Komodo models  23" and 32" they come standard with three cooking levels of 3/8" bars of 304 stainless steel that weigh a ton.  The lower and main grates have trap doors that open too.  In this picture at the very bottom you can just see a little of the heat deflector which is sitting on the charcoal basket then the lower grate with the trap door open then the middle cooking grate with the trap door open.post-2313-0-27721400-1440096418_thumb.jp

Rak you better take your temperature you may be getting the Komodo virus.

FWIW, I haven’t considered the possibility of using the lower grate for a low and slow cook, primarily because it would be closer to the heat source. I’ll defer to the experience of others who have tried that, and maybe I’ll try that myself some time.

I’ve only used the lower grate for searing. Having said that, I have a hard time considering the need for more space than what Smaug’s main and upper grates give me in terms of real estate for a low and slow cook.

To compare this to the Kamado Joe D&C system, for Smaug, the space on the lower grate is a little less than what you get on the main grate, because of the way the base tapers a little from the main grate to the charcoal basket. You don’t lose that space on a KJ grill, but then again, you just get the two half grates, so you can’t cook on the entire area of the top and bottom positions at one time.

Where the KK really shines is in the top grate. Again, because of how the top lid is shaped, you lose a little area compared to the main grate, but it’s not nearly as much of a drop in real estate when comparing the KJ grill expander to the main grate of the KJ grills.

One last thing: all three grates are standard with a KK grill. For a KJ grill, in order to duplicate all this you would have to buy an additional two half grates for the D&C system, and the KJ grill expander, and even then the top level is less functional than it will be in a KK grill.

And since people keep talking about my rib photo, here it is again. Six racks! ^_^

15441695907_d15bbcd741_c.jpg

Rak - I hate to tell you this, but you've got the KKFever and there is only one known cure. Buy your girls a KK of their very own! :lol:

Okay, to answer your question, I've cooked on multiple levels of TheBeast, my KK BB 32". It's really a snap to do, and as Robert so rightly points out, once a KK gets heat soaked, there is little difference between grill levels.

I tend to like to keep like with like, i.e. always cook pork above pork or beef above beef. Thus I'll cook spare ribs over butts or beef ribs over brisket. In TheBeast, the main deflector sits atop the rails of the charcoal basket. I've done a couple of turkeys on the lowest grate, a fair number of chickens on the main, and quite a few Cornish game hens on the upper. No big deal. This cook was for a fund raiser for a Men's Organization at my church. Everything came out moist and beautifully brown.

I've never had to worry about recharging lump during a cook as I always start each cook with a FULL basket. The KK is incredibly efficient storing a tremendous amount of thermal energy in its refractory and then radiating it to the cook. I generally heat soak for about an hour before putting the cook on the grates.

So not only is cooking on multiple levels practical, it's just dadgummed easy.

Hope this helps in your decision to buy Aashni her own KK! ;)

• Like 1

I get up around 3am anyway, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me. But like I said, whatever works for you is cool.

If you're up anyway, then of course wait till then to lighting you prefer. I guess what I was getting at was the fact that a kk won't run out of fuel any time soon because of how well it's insulated. It's burn time vs coal capacity is incredible.

Robert