Poochie

Found: Smoky BBQ Flavor

I like to point out a “feature†of the Komodo that I never see mentioned. First of all, I’ve owned the green ceramic cooker and the red one. I’ve also owned the Akorn which is an imitation ceramic cooker made of steel. And yep, I once owned the Big Steel Keg which is another steel insulated cooker. All of these cooker/smokers ended up on Craigslist. The reason? The food that came off of them didn’t taste like BBQ to me.  Good food, juicy food, tender and moist most of the time, but the flavor of smoked meat wasn’t there…to me.  I don’t like overpowering smoke flavor but I don’t like “oven BBQ†either. 

I’m not a fan boy of any product or company where I’ll defend them even when they screw up. It is what it is. This Komodo that I purchased produces BBQ that tastes like smoked REAL BBQ to my taste buds. I’m amazed at the difference in the food it produces and I promise you I wouldn’t hesitate to sell it if it failed in that category.  It was the ONE thing I was worried about when I purchased it. I use so little wood to get that good smoky BBQ flavor that it’s unbelievable. When it’s all said and done, you buy this Komodo to cook BBQ. You want it to taste like BBQ. It gets an A+ in that department. 

This is the ONLY smoker I’ve bought that will be passed down to my children or grandkids. The more I use it, the more I’m amazed at the capabilities of it and the quality of the food it produces.  It’s one of the very few purchases I’ve had in my 60 years on this planet that has given me 100% satisfaction.

I am very pleased to hear this comment. I absolutely love my KJ cookers and had great results with them. I struggled initially to justify the expense of a KK.

After falling to the power of its looks, I began researching the overall build quality and was really impressed.

Something Dennis said was that because of its over engineered design it creates a truly unique moist environment requiring minimal movement of air. This is true with the vent design. A little air in and the slightest movement of the vents creates immediate temp change.

Even though I haven't put my hands on one in person... I research everything to death. I have been in the Kamado world for three years and have spent many nights reading about the quality of the KK.

These types of posts really put a purchasers mind at ease and gives you the confidence to move forward with their purchase.

Thanks poochie!!

I’m not a fan boy of any product or company where I’ll defend them even when they screw up. It is what it is. This Komodo that I purchased produces BBQ that tastes like smoked REAL BBQ to my taste buds. I’m amazed at the difference in the food it produces and I promise you I wouldn’t hesitate to sell it if it failed in that category.  It was the ONE thing I was worried about when I purchased it. I use so little wood to get that good smoky BBQ flavor that it’s unbelievable. When it’s all said and done, you buy this Komodo to cook BBQ. You want it to taste like BBQ. It gets an A+ in that department. 

I haven’t had a whole lot of experience trying out other kamado grills, but here’s another data point to support this. One time, we had friends over for pulled pork. One of our friends brought over some marinated shrimp. After the pork was done, I opened up the vents to get Smaug up to a pretty hot temperature, and cooked the shrimp. Our friend commented that she couldn’t believe the nice smoky flavor that was added just from cooking the shrimp on Smaug. She’s made this at home and brought the same shrimp to other cookouts, and she said that the shrimp cooked on Smaug was just better because of the smokiness.