Cookie

I'm must have been good...

Hurrah, Cookie! Someone was a good boy this year!!  :xmas:

MacKenzie's suggestion for poached eggs is a good one. See my post from last night with the shrimp cocktail (127F bath for 20 minutes). Wait til you do your first steak. You won't look back!!!

But, whatever it is, let us know how it came out!

Here's a nice book with the basics, that I highly recommend.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0991050177?keywords=sous%20vide%20cookbook&qid=1451072130&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

Here's a nice chart of time/temperature for a lot of different cooks.

ChefSteps-SousVideReference - Time & Temp.pdf

Sensory overload!  I don't know where to start...  I've got the ANOVA sitting here on the desk staring me in the face with some great ideas from you folks.  Last night, I finished opening gifts and received these books which have had me salivating all day.  I also receive the Ninja Ultima blender that is calling out for some soup.

A kid in the candy shop.

P.S.  Especially impressed with the two books by Mallmann, think I'm doing something from these tonight...primal old school grilling.

post-522-0-51448100-1451199367_thumb.jpg

So I promised my 4 year old we'd use the tent Santa brought to camp on the roof tonight. I ended up not being able to make it to the grocery. That said, I did improvise a zucchini recipe from one of the new books:

Steak: USDA prime sirloin; rubbed with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper; cooked direct on the searing grate at 600 some temp; 2 mins each side.

Spuds: Coated with olive oil and kosher salt; baked in KK at 400F for 35 mins.

Zucchini: Cooked directly in hot embers on old school 18" weber kettle. Was really surprised there was no char taste at all.

Had some fresh rosemary growing on the roof, so chopped some and mixed with olive oil and a little fresh lemon. Drizzled that over the zucchini and steak.

Dessert: Roasted marshmallows

23" Kamado, had a lot of buildup so did a high temp 'clean' since I was hanging out on the roof.

f1b605f6b601838c470cf940f78d477e.jpg19778f06509013c826665fa6e0ff5e35.jpg58f54b005ed3cde666db340c447d78d7.jpg591dee59465f994d117cd54917bd896d.jpgd59a671db0992e8a25acf87a3cdeae18.jpg42f67665ae6ff8aa343e742167ec4240.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurrah, Cookie! Someone was a good boy this year!!  :xmas:

MacKenzie's suggestion for poached eggs is a good one. See my post from last night with the shrimp cocktail (127F bath for 20 minutes). Wait til you do your first steak. You won't look back!!!

But, whatever it is, let us know how it came out!

Here's a nice book with the basics, that I highly recommend.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/0991050177?keywords=sous%20vide%20cookbook&qid=1451072130&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

Here's a nice chart of time/temperature for a lot of different cooks.

attachicon.gifChefSteps-SousVideReference - Time & Temp.pdf

Thanks for this, I just ordered the book and printed the PDF for handy reference.

Wonderful pictures! Your son looks like he's having the time of his life!

Never done any "caveman" style cooking myself. Would have never thought about tossing a zucchini onto the coals??

It was really good!  Only guidance on timing in the book was cook each side until about 50/50 green/char.  It came out perfectly cooked and I was expecting this big ashy char taste on the skin and it just wasn't there at all...