MacKenzie

Pretzel Rolls

Have never made these before but they look good so here goes. I used a recipe from King Arthur.

Here they are. I will be making these again.

jl5Q1QE.jpg

I didn't have much on hand for topping and coarse salt will only last about 1 day. The good news is that they taste great with or without toppings. I don't have any pretzel salt and I do not know if it will last longer.

L0Akyap.jpg

J2TGp2h.jpg

The taste test. :)

lDKODMN.jpg

The next batch I hope to bake on the KK, weather permitting. :)

dstr8, thanks and yes, that is exactly the recipe I used.

Some notes I made for next time:

1. The dough ball weighted 975g so divide into 10 balls that weigh 97.5g.

2. Do the 15 rest on oiled counter top and then run a dough scrapper around the entire bun to loosen it.

3. After coming out of the bath the balls will look strange not to worry when they come out of the oven they will look great.

4. Bake in the middle of the lower half of the oven.

5. If the buns appear to be getting too dark lay a sheet of foil over the top.

6. check temp at the 18 minute mark.

I hope you make them and then we can compare notes. :)

That looks great MacKenzie! You've inspired me to learn more about baking and today I made my first loaf of whole wheat bread...it was delicious but I still have more learning to do. If it wasn't for you, I'd never attempt baking bread, so thank you!

Rak, you are very brave to start with whole wheat bread, good for you :) It is not the easiest thing in the world to make. One thing about bread making is that as you persist things will improve. I'm so happy that you are up for the adventure. :)  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Rak, you are very brave to start with whole wheat bread, good for you :) It is not the easiest thing in the world to make. One thing about bread making is that as you persist things will improve. I'm so happy that you are up for the adventure. :)  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

Thanks MacKenzie! It came out great but not to my standards, I learnt a lot and the next on will be even better. Then I can't wait to try it on the KK!

Yes, it will allow the flour to absorb more of the liquid. I do it for my white bread but maybe only 15 mins. During this rest period the flour will absorb the liquid and the gluten strands have begin to develop. The only other thing I can think is the don't over knead as the sharp edges of the bran tend to cut the gluten strands, not good. :)

You mentioned that you think perhaps you should have let it proof longer. You can do the finger test to find out if it is ready to bake. Poke the dough with your finger, straight down about 1/2 inch and if it fills back in SLOWLY it is done proofing. When you poke a properly proofed dough some of the gluten strands give way but but most are relaxed enough to hold the carbon dioxide. Perfect for oven spring. :)

If the hole fills in quickly that means the gluten strands are still tight and just springs back. The strands have not yet relaxed enough to hold the gas so keep proofing if you don't you won't get any oven spring. :(

I think your bread looks lovely, I'd be happy if it were mine. Doesn't look to me from here that you need much tweaking. :)

One more thing, I do use an instant read thermometer to tell when the bread is done baking.

I don't know if you have a nice warm place for proofing but if not here is a tool I use to fix that. I like it a lot:

http://brodandtaylor.com/

Thank you! These tips really help!

The bread was good, but I know I can do better!

For proofing, I use my oven. It has a proofing mode (with 2 settings, standard proofing and rapid), and so far it's been terrific.

I'm going to do this again later this week and I'll let you know how it goes! thanks a million!