KevinD

My first butt on Pele

6 hours ago, 5698k said:

I always take my pork to 205°, so 190°+ is no problem. As long as it pulled easily, that's all that matters. Keep the pics coming!!

Rob

In retrospect I'd have to agree with you.  It pulled apart o.k., but taken to  205° it probably would've fallen apart at my touch and that is what I would prefer. Next butt cook will be to 205° - thanks for your comments!

Edited by KevinD

4 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Never heard of wrapping a pork butt, that being said you can't argue with those results!

Nailed it..

Conservative on your  "puller's choice"...  
I always choose a piece with a huge chunk of almost completely rendered fat and lots of bark.. 

Fat Bark Rules!

Who said that I stopped at that one small piece? :-) 

2 hours ago, Steve M said:

Looks really good Kevin. I love the bark. 

You were wise to take it up to 190+. I've done quite a few and wait until the temperature probe goes in easy which is usually around 195-200.

I haven't done many briskets but have one coming up so I look forward to seeing your brisket cook.

Next cook will definitely take pulled pork up into that range!

4 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Never heard of wrapping a pork butt, that being said you can't argue with those results!

Nailed it..

Conservative on your  "puller's choice"...  
I always choose a piece with a huge chunk of almost completely rendered fat and lots of bark.. 

Fat Bark Rules!

Just now, KevinD said:

Next cook will definitely take pulled pork up into that range!

Will not be wrapping anymore butts as I agree that it was totally unnecessary and softened up the bark pieces, bad my mind! 

8 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Kevin, that looks awesome.:) I sure do have the rolls, please send me the pulled pork and I'll fill the rolls for you. No return postage needed. :) :smt077

Somehow, that doesn't quite seem to work for me… :-) 

Edited by KevinD

Ta-Da!

Brisket has come off...

Sorry about not having a picture as it went on to Pele last night but between the darkness and smoke, I just needed to get it on and get the lid closed… 

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD

...I suppose you want a picture of the brisket?

OK here's a peek – going to get this re-wrapped in butcher paper and then place it in a cooler, swaddled in towels with appropriate foil to protect them for the next six hours… 

I will be sure to give you pics of the sliced product when it is time to get ready for serving. It took all of my willpower not to take and sample one of those corners off of the flat. I will also be certain to reserve some of the point to create some nice crusty burnt ends - beyond what is already present.

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 2