KevinD

My first butt on Pele

This is mostly for portioning out to the freezer though I will put aside  2lbs. for sandwiches.  I will be certain to take a picture of the end result before pulling it apart as well as after the pulling begins.

After the butt comes off I have to damp down Pele to 225° then load a bit more coco char.   After I get temp stabilized, I will add a few of chunks of oak wood and then put on a brisket for an overnight cook to be the star attraction for dinner tomorrow.   Tomorrow will be the first time I will share cooking from Pele with family and friends 

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 1

CC - my plan was to remove the butt from the foil used for the est. last 3hrs of my cook.  Am I interpreting you correctly in that maybe I should leave the butt in foil, going straight to the cooler in towels?  Don't bother removing from foil in favor of butcher wrap? I know that butcher wrap is porous by design...

This is my first ever attempt at a butt except for Dutch oven and for that I usually have covered on Ortega chiles...

Thanks in advance for your wisdom on a strictly KK butt cook!

• Like 1

@KevinD - sorry for the confusion.  Go ahead as you planned with the butcher paper.  What I mean is that when you pull the cook, wrap the finished cook in foil before you wrap the cook in a towel and then cooler.  Wrapping the cook in foil after you pull and before you wrap in a towel will prevent grease from soaking your wife's towel, your cooler, and you being put in the doghouse!  

• Like 1

Progress check - 5 hours in at mostly  275°.  I say mostly because first hour or so was a slow crawl from 250 to 275  because I didn't want to overshoot my target temperature. 

Had to truss up the butt since Costco likes to remove the bone. Had I not had it tied up I think I would've had a more broken fat top layer which is the sign Aaron Franklin uses as his cue to remove for wrapping.  I'm about to 15° short of my target cook temperature of 190°, though 185° was listed in a couple of different sources. I'm going with 190° since I want more fat rendering and I'm certain that 5° difference is not gonna hurt the pork...

I will also drop the cooking temperature down to 250° since that is my target temp of my brisket cook that will follow the removal of the butt and addition of a bit more coco-char.   As mentioned earlier I will add a couple of chunks of oak to  influenced the brisket flavoring.

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
  • Like 2

Mighty tasty...all I need now is my vinegar based sauce, some cole slaw, and???  MacK - do you have some home made rolls to send on over for sandwiches? They need to be sustantial enough to stand up to juicy pork drizzled with the vinegar sauce and of course, a spoonful of slaw on top to finish it off... ;-) 

Argh!  - almost forgot the frosty beverage(s) of choice...

Looks really good Kevin. I love the bark. 

You were wise to take it up to 190+. I've done quite a few and wait until the temperature probe goes in easy which is usually around 195-200.

I haven't done many briskets but have one coming up so I look forward to seeing your brisket cook.