FotonDrv

Ti (titanium) Grates?

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Spoken like a true Aeronautical Engineer - always worried about reducing the weight. 

And then add a bad back, torn rotator cuff (s) and then the desire for less weight and same function becomes more clear.  My Golden Years are more like tarnished brass, but still kickin it!!

• Like 2

Duck with a garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage, salt/pepper rub sitting overnight to marinate. It was ok for a first duck in the KK, but i had to move the heavy grills again. 

Got to find out a cost for titanium grills, and you can bet the shipping costs would be half as much :-)

IMG_2969.MOV

Edited by FotonDrv

Tasty looking duck! 

On 1/17/2017 at 10:33 PM, FotonDrv said:

And then add a bad back, torn rotator cuff (s) and then the desire for less weight and same function becomes more clear.  My Golden Years are more like tarnished brass, but still kickin it!!

I can easily see you hooking up an electrical wench to your grill grabbers to lift grates in and out - LOL! 

5 hours ago, tony b said:

Tasty looking duck! 

I can easily see you hooking up an electrical wench to your grill grabbers to lift grates in and out - LOL! 

Funny!  That thought crossed my mind but quickly went back to Ti (titanium) grills since the SS is so heavy.  Now a multi piece SS grill would be good, like the SBB42 has, those 42 grills are magnificent!

Food sticks to SS more than it would with Ti but the heat transfer in Ti is less than SS so the sear marks would come more from the gaps between the bars, at least that is what I am thinking.  Maybe someone with more experience with Ti might be able to comment. 

Edited by FotonDrv
spelling

On 1/18/2017 at 2:38 AM, FotonDrv said:

Question for Dennis, have you ever tried titanium grills to reduce weight?  Yeah, I know they cost more money, but how much more??

LOL  no have not.. But no reason I could not make up a 42 grill version of the 32" grates for you.  It would be a bit tedious but I could make them as light and easy to handle as you like..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

LOL  no have not.. But no reason I could not make up a 42 grill version of the 32" grates for you.  It would be a bit tedious but I could make them as light and easy to handle as you like..

Thats a great offer Dennis!  I will get back to you about the 1/2 grill to mirror the existing 1/2 grill because it might do the trick if I can lift one end to stoke the fire.

The Serious Big Bad 42 is a super designed monster big grill/smoker and I would have ordered one if I could have figured out a way to move it into place.

Edited by FotonDrv
added text

Dennis, I just played with the 1/2 grill and it would work perfectly if it was mirrored on the other side.  I tried lifting up the end to see how well it stayed in place by itself without butting up against its mirror and it was great!  If the mirrored 1/2 grill was just a continuation of the existing 1/2 grill then sliding food across the surface would be just fine.

The 42 has multiple grills on top and a mirrored 1/2 grill would just make 2 for the 32, both easy to move :-)

Titanium looses to Dennis and his quick mind with the mirrored 1/2 grill.

• Like 2

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.