Bucky96

Basket splitter + additional basket?

All, how big of a pain is it to remove/add the splitter as needed to a KK23 basket vs having two separate baskets (one split, one full)?

It would appear that the splitter divider and plate could be quickly removed and added without having to have two baskets. What's the downside?

Just thinking about storage, mess etc. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Bucky96 said:

All, how big of a pain is it to remove/add the splitter as needed to a KK23 basket vs having two separate baskets (one split, one full)?

It would appear that the splitter divider and plate could be quickly removed and added without having to have two baskets. What's the downside?

Just thinking about storage, mess etc. 

Thanks!

The splitter is easily removed. However, I have two baskets for my 23 not so that one is split and one not, but to hold different types of charcoal. One basket holds nothing but CoCo char for low and slows, and the other is regular lump for everything else. I have only one basket for my 32 that stays mostly in the 50% split configuration (two-zones), and I keep KK Coffeewood lump in that basket.

• Like 1

It certainly is easier to put the splitter in when the basket is empty.  I have reconfigured the splitter with charcoal in the basket and it takes a lot of messy fiddling.  The second basket, if you have room to store it, makes sense.

I have the 32 so using 1/2 is what I normally do for our small family cooks.

I have a single basket. If it's loaded with 'after a cook' lump, I dump the lump into a bucket, install the splitter, then re-load with the lump from the bucket. There will usually be plenty of lump left over in that bucket that I will use to top off after the next cook.

Removing the splitter is simple.

I feel I'd do the same if I had a dedicated basket for the splitter anyway - dump out the lump when you store a basket, then reload it when you need it again.

• Like 1

I stash the 2nd basket in the big plastic tub with my charcoal. I just swap back and forth as needed, topping them off each time. And, if any charcoal spills out in the tub, it just ends up back in the pile with the new stuff. No mess, no fuss.