Hogwart

Santa Wants to Know

Just do a search for my username or -=jasen=- and guru and you will see I favor the Guru. The only reason I would go with a Stoker is if I were gonna use the internet feature. Other than that, it would be the Guru. And if you were extra special and Santa would let you, I would go for the gold and get the ProCom - it is a really amazing piece of equipment! Even if you do not go for a ProCom, I still like the Guru models so you can mount them on the fan and out of the way. Also, I like the 10 cfm fan best. 5 cfm will do, but the 10 will get it there faster and you can use it for those high temp cooks if you remove the probes and just use the blower.

-=Jasen=-

I have reviews of the ProCom4 and the Stoker on my website, if anyone is interested. Look under product reviews.

TNW

Fred never sent you a Competitor or other model to review? They should really do that since it is the most popular model.

Oh well, here is a link to the Competitor anyway - http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqCompetitor.cfm .

Ok, I am adding a ProCom link too, just in case - http://www.thebbqguru.com/bbqProcom4.cfm .

-=Jasen=-

Re: Toy

Not necessary for low and slow?

No, definately not necessary. Many of us don't own one and do low-n-slows just fine. Some people recommend not getting one at least until after you have learned to control the temps on your own.

I don't have one for several reasons.

1. I'm a cheap scape

2. I hate technology...and one more thing to learn to work don't sound good.

If it weren't fot those 2 minor issues, I'd probably get one. But you can cook low-n-slows just fine without them.

Re: Toy

Not necessary for low and slow?

No, definately not necessary. Many of us don't own one and do low-n-slows just fine. Some people recommend not getting one at least until after you have learned to control the temps on your own.

I don't have one for several reasons.

1. I'm a cheap scape

2. I hate technology...and one more thing to learn to work don't sound good.

If it weren't fot those 2 minor issues, I'd probably get one. But you can cook low-n-slows just fine without them.

Totally agree, but this gives you piece of mind with an overnight cook and $50-100 worth on meat on the grill. I like having the remote to monitor temps (unlike a maverick or other brand with very limited range, the Guru remotes works great for extended ranges - I believe it is 600). Also, if my food hits it temp in the middle of the night, it can auto shut itself down or hold at a certain temp. Oh yeah, the geek factor is there with this setup.

And I am just the opposite of your number 2 statement, I love new things to learn and tech toys! But for someone who does not, I can see where they just want to keep it simple. Though the Competitor is pretty simple.

-=Jasen=-

No' date=' definately not necessary...but definately a nice toy to play with.[/quote']

Totally not necessary - I've never used one. I've found that once temps stabilize, they don't fluctuate much... so I've done plenty of overnights with no guru and no problems. Well, except the general problem that my cooker doesn't like to sit below 300F. Hehe.

On the other hand, it does look like fun.

And if you really want to geek out, Deej has all kinds of modification projects for you.

:mrgreen:

This Noob Suggests.....

Faith You can do it without any technology.

I know I've posted ad naseum since receiving my KK last Thursday and I have not stopped cooking.

I have done low and slow starting with 1 - 10lb pork loin (6 hrs) then 3 racks of ribs @ 230 (6 hrs) then the next day 3 - 10 lb pork loins (6.5 hrs) and my crowning achievement (this week :wink: ) which I took off one hour ago is two 10 lb Boston Butts.

I started the Butts @ 7:00 pm last night at 220 degrees and at 6 am the thermometer read 235. I stopped my the house at noon and the temp was 225 and at 3pm (yeah I left early) it read 230. You will learn to micro adjust. All that cooking and Gigantor only consumed 1 3/4 bags of lump! :smt045

Just to clean the crud off I took the fire door off, opened the top all the way and within 6 minutes the temp went from 250 to 1100!!!

You can open the bottom daisy wheel about 1/16 - 1/8 open and the top 1/4 from tight to get your units base temp. Make a mark on the wheel/door and then just micro adjustments on the top and you can figure out the 220-250 sweet spot for low and slow. When I say micro adjustments on the tip I mean a 1/16 turn and wait ten minutes. Save your money. You'll soon be sleeping on those overnights. I did!

Re: This Noob Suggests.....

Faith You can do it without any technology.

I know I've posted ad naseum...

There you go...from a noob whose cooked a lot of meet without any wired up stuff :D

One of the requirements of noobyism is to post ad naueum :D

Some people gotta have the toys though and it's their right :lol:

I'm planning on getting a rotisserie...although with a KK there is really no need for one...cause I just gotta have one though. :shock:

I was new here once. Did you think I posted to the point of nausea? I thought you liked my posts. :smt022

Deej likes me. You go eat worms. :smt016

TWharton, you cook and post and do whatever you want. Don't let the killjoys step on your buzz. Hrumph.

I was new here once. Did you think I posted to the point of nausea? I thought you liked my posts. :smt022

Deej likes me. You go eat worms. :smt016

TWharton, you cook and post and do whatever you want. Don't let the killjoys step on your buzz. Hrumph.

No, but your posts BEFORE you became a noob were very entertaining. I do remember the term "over exuberant" or something to that effect. But it's very common with us all as we enter the majical world of ceramic cooking. :roll:

Believe it or not...even Gerard was exuberant when he was a noob. :lol:

Believe it or not...even Gerard was exuberant when he was a noob. :lol:

Hahahahha, that is funny! :lol::D:):o:shock::roll:

Sanny, I never thought that! If anyone here fits that bill, it is me - hehe - since I got the highest post. But then again, Curly is a close runner up. Truthfully, I doubt either one of us care if someone thinks we post too much - hehe! 8)

-=Jasen=-