GASMAN

Winter use of the KK

I am about 6 months in to my love affair with the KK and had some questions regarding its use in the Winter.  I live in Ohio and Winter temps can get very cold ( several degrees below 0) with heavy snow.  The grill will be on an uncovered patio...will be moved closer to the back door and will be covered as soon as the large brown sunbrella cover for use with tables becomes available( I have been waiting all summer...)  My question is do I need to do anything different when starting with such a cold grill....such as slow warmup for a long period of time to heat soak thoroughly before increasing the temp...I do not want to do anything to possibly damage the unit and was looking for some advice....any help will be appreciated.   It is a testament to my infatuation with the unit to be worrying about this so far ahead of time...Thanks

I live in Iowa and it gets damned cold here in the winter.  My KK has a sunbrella cover on an open deck. I cook most of the winter on it - exception is when the windchill factor has a negative sign in front of it! :cold: 

59ab0c2470adf_KKcovered.thumb.jpg.c8178334e2c6ee710dc97084ddaee9a5.jpg

My only recommendation is to take out your dome thermometer when the outside temps get below 40-ish. It will "under range" and throw off the calibration. Just becomes part of the routine of shutting down after a cook and putting the cover back on. 

• Like 2

You could build him a house, leave the front open { who needs a door } that'll help. You still have time.  I've found the only time kamodos crack to damage is when they're over heated. The KK is built differently than your everyday average Kamodo, it's made very well. I'm lucky I own one too, one less thing on the bucket list.