marco polo

Help Please...

Got my new Barbi out of the garage and on the deck, thanks to a little help. Got some baby backs and a boston butt marinating, and ready to go anytime. Fired her up for the first, and she is smokin' and temp risin' 122 as I write. What should I shoot for temp wise for the ribs and boston butt combo?? I am determined, let me tell ya, it's a cold and dreary day here in GA... Can't spoil my party...

Photo7.jpg

So, please give some direction all you expert smokers...

shoot for 250 deg F. babys go for 3.5-4 hours, longer if you do basting or other somesuch rigamarole. best to just dry rub and leave 'em be. butts go for 15-20 hrs depending on size. its done when the shoulder bone slides out of the butt and it is easily pulled apart by a couple forks.

easy peasy! and good stuff! good luck and don't worry! worry makes the meat tough!

Re: Thanks PC

Should I leave it at the 250 for the butt??

Life is good buddy, thanks for the suggestions...

Yah, that's a fine temp for butts. It's going to take a good long while to cook. If you have a meat thermometer, you can watch the progress, and then the inevitable stall for a while, when you think that you did something wrong. Not to worry - that's the plateau, and it's normal. You'll sit around 165-170 for what feels like weeks, while the collagen breaks down in the meat. Don't mess with the cooker if it's still the proper temp (250 ish). It won't help, and will make you nutty. When the plateau finished, the temp will ease up to where you want it to end up. The collagen break down is what's making the whole thing tender and delicious.

You probably want to stick a foil pan on a lower rack underneath to catch the drippings. Otherwise, they'll drip on the coals and make smoke that doesn't taste as nice as what the lump and wood makes.

Check out the posts on here about cooking butts. Try the search feature.

Good luck!

Thanks Sanny

I actually think it's all going ok. Sure smells nice, too bad it's a bit cold out to sit. I am also a pipe smoker, so this kind of cookin goes hand in hand... A nice Latakia to go with that mesquite...

Well she sure is blowing some smoke in this windy day. Being a pipe smoker, I feel very intune with how this thing huff and puffs, so I think that a strong steady breeze could be detrimental to temp stability. Downright dangerous ina' fine piece of briar.