LeadDog

Naan (Indian Flat Bread)

Makes 6 large breads.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup hand hot milk (about 95°-100°F)

2 teaspoons extra fine sugar (I used regular sugar)

2 teaspoons of active dry yeast (I used wine yeast)

3.75 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon of baking powder

2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus a little extra

2/3 cup plain yoghurt, lightly beaten

1 large egg, lightly beaten

Directions:

Put milk in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon of the sugar and the yeast. Stir to mix. (I didn't stir mine because it would damage the wine yeast) Set aside for 15-20 minutes or until frothy. (I stirred mine at this time and let it sit another 20 minutes).

Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar, the yeast mixture, the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, the yoghurt, and the egg. Mix and form a ball of dough.

Empty the ball of dough on to a clean work surface and knead it for 10 minutes or more, until it is smooth and satiny. Form into a ball. Pour about 1/4 teaspoon oil into a large bowl and roll the ball of dough in it. Cover the bowl with a piece of plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in bulk.

I started up my KK about 30 minutes later. I had the vents very open and when I was cooking the thermometer was in the 500°F range.

Punch down the dough and knead it again. Divided it into 6 equal balls. Roll out the first one into a tear shaped naan. My first one wasn't thin enough so it was a very good fat Naan. I put the first on a cookie sheet and placed it on the fire for 5 minutes. While it is cooking I rolled out the other 5 Naans. After 5 minutes pull the Naan from the cooker and flip it over on the open grill. This will brown the top of the Naan and put grill marks there. At this time notice if the Naan is over or under cooked. I ended up cook the rest at 4 minutes and flipping them over on the open grill for 30 seconds.

Eat them while they are hot! They were very good. :) I'm thinking this will be a good dough to try for Pizza.

Curly we will need to see pictures of yours when you cook them.

Picture of the Naan is here. http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1167

LDoggy, don't let him bother you. I have mac, too. ;) Got my first one in 1984.

That naan looks amazing! I'm going to try that, too! But not today.

I was showing a coworker pics of the KKs, and telling him all he could do with it. I think I've got him convinced. I think my telling him about making pizza like in an Italian oven did the trick. He's does taxes this time of year (along with counting beans at our office), and said that looks like his post-tax season purchase. :)

Yea a referral....big points. Way to go. Did you show him the current sale stock? I have a friend that would be his opposite. Instead of saying how much she spent on a KK, she would tell you how much she saved! It was pretty comical to hear her tell her husband how much she had saved him (sale prices) after a day of shopping! He always laughed...what a wise mate!

I don't let DJ bother me but he is fun to toy with. One of the reasons I got the KK is because I saw that it can be used to cook a lot of different types of food. That coupled with the fact that I have a very large supply of lump makes it a very good purchase. The cost to cook on it is next to nothing when compared to the electric stove and oven. Then there is something about how good the food tastes that doesn't hurt also.

I showed a friend of mine the KK yesterday and he is interested in one. The sale came along just at the right time I think.

Yea a referral....big points. Way to go. Did you show him the current sale stock?
You betcha! :) Showed him sale stuff' date=' and the stuff in various locations around, and even Clifford! He got "that" gleam in his eye. We all know that look. lol[/quote']

If you sell Clifford for Dennis, I think you get double bonus points...that was surely a terrible blunder on someones part :oops:

LDoggy, don't let him bother you. I have mac, too. Got my first one in 1984

I can see getting one in 84, but after about 94 there is no excuse!

Sanny, you may wanna ask Dennis about the Blue tiled KK in southern MD. Its had some small fit and finsh issues, easily corrected and is a great price, within a couple hundred mile drive of you (no shipping fees :D ) Any bean counter would appreciate the savings :D

he is fun to toy with.

Funny how I was thinking the same thing....about you - hehe - dance for me meat puppet!!!!!! :lol::o:):D

-=Jasen=-

Here I'll fly the F8F Bearcat that I personally modeled.

This is what you will look like after I'm done with you.

Now where is my Naan! :)

Oh golly gee - I will accept your challenge! :smt065 But alas, my Commodore Vic 20 is up in the attic; might take me a little while to knock out the cob webs and get it running this program! hehe :smt064

-=Jasen=-