Wobster

Real World examples of 32 vs 23

I am deciding on the 23 vs 32. I can read the diagrams but real world, how much more can you cook on a 32”? Also does it make sense to get a 32 if 90% of the time you are cooking for 2? I know some of you probably have both, or have faced the same decision! 

Thanks! 

Dave

1 hour ago, Wobster said:

I am deciding on the 23 vs 32. I can read the diagrams but real world, how much more can you cook on a 32”? Also does it make sense to get a 32 if 90% of the time you are cooking for 2? I know some of you probably have both, or have faced the same decision! 

Thanks! 

Dave

My stock canned answer:

As I always say.. if you want to cook low and slow, brisket, butts and ribs..  the 23" Ultimate has great capacity.. it can do 5-7 pork butts / 50-60lbs of meat.

If you want to "Grill" for a crowd the 23" is limited by its size.  You just can't throw on 6-8 steaks...

The 32" and 42" are great GRILLS which also have more low and slow capacity than most will ever need.  The 32" is no slower nor does it use noticeably more fuel. Outside of the 20% more in cost and almost twice the weight there is no downside I can think of to getting a 32" Big Bad..  It's all I cook on these days. I pretty much leave the basket splitter in at 50%.. even when I low and slow.

That being said, If you want to work a bit you could reverse sear 6-8 steaks and then brown them up three at a time.
Gets the job done, but there is a reason there are no 23" gas grills on the market.. it's too small as a grill.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ditto what Dennis said. I own both. Most of the time it’s just me and my wife, and most of the time I use the 32. It’s not just the capacity. The most important attribute of the 32 is it’s flexibility. Most of the time my 32 is in two-zone configuration using the half main grate on the indirect side. This is ideal for grilling. But I also have the flexibility to “go big” and do two pizzas at a time, smoke a boatload, etc. Here is what the two zone configuration looks like.

922473FD-2152-45E9-8223-34699542CDB6.thumb.jpeg.29148be5068bfb02bb15ae3104e53d65.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a 23 and if i had to do it all over again i probably would go with the 32 simply because of how you can split the grill plus not always but there are times that i have ran out of room on main grate and had to add more space was a pain but very doable if  i had the 32 i would of not had that issue.

but the 23 has filled all my needs

the 32 is another 10 inches which makes a difference also in the pic that was posted your only using half the grill for direct which is 16 in perfect size for cooking for yourself or for 2 bottom line is if you can afford it go with the biggest one you can but the 23 is a fantastic grill i have no complaints 

• Thanks 1