Porkchop

What's going on the grill this weekend??

Dirty socks

The dirty oily sock thing worked well. I used the brass brush while the grill was heating, and buffed off the crusties from the last cook. Then when the metal was hot, I used an old cloth (a clean, unused, cotton utility cloth, sold in bundles of a bazillion as shop towels), tied it into a bundle, and oiled the grill. Perfect non-stick! :)

Excellent.

Remind me never to eat fish at your place - tuna a'la dirty ole sock!

Have you never worked in a restaurant?? That laundered sock is the last of your worries :shock:

And just so there is a little truth in advertising, I use the same rag to oil the grill whenever I do anything other than a low and slow...so you better not eat the steak, chicken breast, or vegetables either :D

Haxe!!!

I picked up everything to make Schweinshaxe this weekend - Mmmmm! Basically German BBQ or pork roast - however you look at it since it can be oven roasted or grill (or combo of both which is my plan). There is a recipe in the pork section, also I plan on adding garlic and rosemary to this recipe as the tweak for this cook.

-=Jasen=-

Remind me never to eat fish at your place - tuna a'la dirty ole sock!

Have you never worked in a restaurant?? That laundered sock is the last of your worries :shock:

Eh no, never worked in one. And la,la,la,la,la, got my fingers in my ears and hands over my eyes.....I am not hearing or seeing anything else since I eat out A LOT!

But hell, I got a mop/sauce do-dad (cloth mounted on the end of a stick) that I bought for the store for next to nothing - think I will stick with that verses my worn out sock - hehe! :wink:

-=Jasen=-

Dude' date=' have your camera ready when you use it for oil....that will be a torch faster than my POSK will drop tiles and crumble![/quote']

Cool! You know I gotta do it now! I usually just use a oil mister on the grill (or pam) and I love the flames from that too!

So tell me why the sock in oil is less flammable than my mop/sauce brush?

-=Jasen=-

Olive bread

Snooky asked for sketty and meatballs for supper tonight, so bread was necessary! I used the recipe I posted before, and the "no knead" NYT method discussed here some months back.

Here's a pic in progress. Looks great!

AND, good for me, I heat soaked the cooker at 450 or so, and maintained temp between 450 and 500 for the cook. Whee! Still learning, but coming along. Cowboy lump.

olivebread.jpg

So tell me why the sock in oil is less flammable than my mop/sauce brush?

Its tightly rolled and compacted. Unless you oversaturate it and drip oil in the fire, its not going to flame. Your sauce mop is intended to stay wet and drip...and will dangle oil soaked cotton all over. :smt074

Progress report

:) Olive bread on the ceramic was delicious! Next time, I'd shut down the draft vents when I put the bread in, and let it cook from radiant heat alone. The bottom of the loaf got a bit overcooked, and it would have been fine without added heat, I think, once the cooker saturated at temp.

Tuna steaks on the grill were amaaaazing! Of course, unless you overcook it, what can one do wrong to ahi?

Today, ribs are on. Screaming yellow mustard, and a batch of home made JJ's rub (slightly modified recipe), overnight. Now they're on a rib rack, indirect. I've maintained about 200 degrees for a couple hours, so I think I can declare progress on the "temp control" front. I'll try to gently bump it up, but I don't want to lose control of it.

Fuel is some leftover Cowboy from the other cooks, and mostly extruded coconut. (note to Dennis - source some of that (or similar), will you please? :wink: ) And one good sized chunk of hickory.

Smells good so far.

And Curly, the Snooky is gone back home to Rochester again, so you can rest comfortably.

:lol:

More progress

I'm proud of myself! Temps steady at 250 mostly all day (so far).

Lookin at those two "little" slabs of back ribs, all cookin and lonely... They needed siblings. :) SO I ran out to the store and got some spare ribs, rubbed em down, and put them on, too.

The back ribs were brown and cooked sufficiently to consolidate some, to make room for the spares. I gave them a squirt of apple juice, for good measure, and closed the lid.

I must confess... I pulled a corner off the back ribs. For the briefest of moments, I think I saw the Deity! Oh my! Angels sang, and I heard harps, and the clouds parted. A sunbeam shone right upon me!

Cannot wait until they're all cooked! The smell of porky goodness is making me a bit nutty. :)

Marinated flank steak

That's my plan for the day. Marinated in hoisin sauce, soy, ginger, garlic, some hot oil.

Of course, it's going to rain shortly, so we'll have a damp chef. :)

Fortunately, the dog and I had a walk to Starbarks while the weather was still somewhat clear. She had her plain bagel, I had iced green tea.

Anyone else cookin fun stuff? I know there are SOME of you out there who have your KKs, and aren't among those who are drooling with anticipation. :)

Whole Sirloin Tip - $1.78 lb

Last week I saw whole Sirloin tips on sale for $1.78 lb. So I bought the biggest they had, 10.5 lbs and brought it home and got 12 - 1 1/2 in steaks out of it :shock: Now granted, these don't have the flavor of a ribeye or t-bone, but at about $1.50 a steak, a poor man can eat a lot of steak.

I used the foodsaver to marinate 2 of them in Stubbs beef marinade for a couple hours, then sprinkled them with RTS Dizzy Pigs and threw them on at about 650 degrees. 4 minutes each side, then shut it down and 4 minutes dwell. Dang good steak I must say...I'll definately buy those Sirloin tips again, they are very versatile too, roast, steak, fajita, you name it.