Porkchop

What's going on the grill this weekend??

Grr... fire went out again.

Ok, so the ribs had been on since around 11:30am, and the fire went out sometime between 4:30 and 7:30pm. I was out, and the fire was, too, when I returned. Temp was just below 150, and falling. Vents were set at the 225-250 openings, as they'd been all day.

Fortunately, the meat was pretty much done. Not really "bone wiggling," but sufficiently cooked to be good eating. Lots of barky goodness, and good flavor. I'd have liked to give them another basting and let the sauce get sticky, but that wasn't to be.

Nevertheless, the rub was good, and the sauce yummy, too. I can recommend the Cola ribs in this issue of Cook's Country. :) They're cut into individual rib pieces, and in ziplock bags for storage/distribution now. I'll just have to provide the sauce on the side, instead.

Tomorrow, when it's light and the cooker is cool, I'll do a post mortem, and find out why the fire went out. I thought I'd arranged the lump sufficiently that each was touching another. And I thought there was plenty of lump. But, one or the other was wrong! Otherwise, the fire wouldn't have gone out.

Hrumph. I'm loath to start the two butt cook on an overnight, when I don't know why the fire keeps going out. :(

And yes, they're imaginary ribs, because of the camera's being on the lam. :roll:

Hopefully I will be able to upload a video or at least post a link to the video' date=' I will be showing my KK on ABC7 Chicago on Monday, Grilling tips, and the like. We'll have kabobs, flat irons,some portabello mushrooms. If it rains,I'll have done them at home the night before at home, and can only show the cooker as a prop. This is the first of many appearances to come! Another one next Saturday morning on NBC. GO KomodoKamado!!![/quote']

Maybe we can all get Bobby Flay to trade in his Weber and get a real grill ( sorry in advance to all those people who still have Weber's )

The cold, cruel light of morning...

Ok, here are the results of the post mortem.

I started the coals on two sides. Although it appeared that both sides caught, that wasn't the case. Only the right one stayed lighted. The fire drilled down into the ample pile of lump, and made a tunnel, but never caught the whole pile! So, the fire went out. :mad:

I think if I'd gone in through the front damper and poked a tool up to the fire box, and given it a shake during the cook, that would have avoided the problem. I'd have collapsed the tunnel, and kept the fire going.

Note to self...

I started the fire this morning, and got it good and hot, just to clean out the insides and get the grill hot enough to scrub with wire brush. The lump caught much more quickly than yesterday. No doubt because it was good and dry.

Depending on the weather, I'll do the butts tonight into tomorrow, maybe. Maybe. Sigh. But I don't have freezer space for two giant butts, and I don't think it is a good idea to keep them uncooked in the refrigerator until next weekend.

In case you're wondering, I did share some ribs with the neighbors this morning. I figured since I was smoking them out so early, they should have some for breakfast. :)

Sanny maybe you can ship these ribs to me via unicorn express. They sound delicious. :D

They are good, Chunky. :) I had a couple for before bedtime last night. And (not that I spy on my neighbors) I could smell the neighbors reheating them this morning. Smelled wonderful! :D I'd have preferred them a little softer (more cooked), but they are good.

Butts are trussed, and liberally coated with Dizzy Dust. I like the rub from the ribs, but I didn't have any more pepper already ground. And no WAY I was going to stand there and grind over 1/4 cup of pepper in a grinder!

I stopped at the grocery to get some, but WAY too expensive! I'll hit Costco on Monday (weekly trip with Dad to grocery and Costco)and I'll get some for "time of need." Can you IMAGINE? Grocery wanted $6 for a small shaker! Costco had food service size for that or slightly less. That works just fine for bulk rub.

I do wish Costco sold bone in butts, though. One of these was hacked to bits from someone's trying to debone it. I didn't have a string bag to put around it, so had to truss it in all different directions - a straight butcher's tie wouldn't hold the parts in. But think how easy to pull later! Already falling apart. :)

Rib repair

Well, Mother tried a rib, and said she'd prefer them "softer." Yup, extra hour in the cooker would have been good. BUT, that's why they make foil in the oven, right? So, I foiled and sauced, and put them in the oven at low heat for an hour. Now they're fine. :)

Butts are in the cooker overnight. Pray the beast stays lighted! (remember, folks, this is Another Manufacturer's cooker, not a KK, so my rantings are not directed at this forum or the KK.) Besides, this is operator error, I'm sure, not mfg error, anyway. Sigh.

Question for the experts

Bedtime, I went to bed. Cooker was a little hot for a very long cook (overnight), so I adjusted it down. Zzzz.

Wake up. Cooker still cooking! But under 200. Meat is 133.

Has the meat BEEN to 190 and come down? Has it never reached 190? How to tell? I sliced some from the middle, and it was very delicious. But not "pullable."

It probably never made it up to 195, hence the firmer meat in the middle.

If you have the time, and the meat is not drying out on you yet, then you can likely finish it off on the grill. If not, then being subjected to smoke all night likely gave you all of the tastes and flavor you seek.

This is going to sound like sacrilege here, but you could probably pull it and finish it in a covered pan in the oven if you are concerned with drying it out. Of course, a little vinegar sauce after you pull it will cure most problems, too.

This is going to sound like sacrilege here' date=' but you could probably pull it and finish it in a covered pan in the oven if you are concerned with drying it out. Of course, a little vinegar sauce after you pull it will cure most problems, too.[/quote']

I think you're right, FM, that it never reached temp to begin with. How can a 180 degree fire heat something up to 190?

It's up to 175 internal now. Not too dry on the outside - praise the thermal mass of a ceramic! Also, she can reheat it with some apple juice for the party. That'll moisten it up quite a bit. :)

The rib pieces that I trimmed went on the fire with the butts. They smoked low all night, and are like the corners of lasagna today! I took them off at 6:30 this morning. ooooh are they wonderful!! Almost 100% bark!

Dad and I went to the grocery this morning, and I swung past here between errands to check progress of butts. He kept walking back to the stove and hacking pieces of the rib trimmings. And then back for more. And again. And again. lol. :) THAT is the sign of good cookin! He loves that texture, and so do I!

I know it's too late now Sanny, but.....

Sanny wrote:

I started the coals on two sides. Although it appeared that both sides caught, that wasn't the case. Only the right one stayed lighted. The fire drilled down into the ample pile of lump, and made a tunnel, but never caught the whole pile! So, the fire went out.

I've read your other posts about your charcoal (damp), but couldn't find what kind of charcoal you're using? If you're using the extruded with holes in the middle; works great to stack them like little chimneys.

This seems odd to me "started the coals on two sides". Are you dividing your coal inside the basket into two sides and lighting the middle? Although we have the same size K, I'm not sure if we have the same lump saver. I have the older, smaller, straight sided version. I can't imagine two coal piles spaced apart inside my basket being enough coal for an overnighter.

I suggest completely filling your coal basket, not dividing the coal, and simply lighting the underside with your gas attachment.

Good luck!!!

:) Johnnyboy! No no, I mean I made one pile of lump, and lit it on two sides. I don't do chimney, and haven't gotten the gas thingy to work nicely. So, I put fire starter sticks (compressed wax and wood) on two sides, light them, and cover with lump. Only one "took."

The damp lump is cowboy. Not damp because of an inherent defect. Just the bag was not sealed, and lived in the shed all winter. Some of the lump lived in the cooker all winter. Just not completely dry, so it wasn't "matchlight," as it could otherwise be.

I try not to use the extruded that I have. It has never done well by me.

Sunday--- Father's day 2008--- after several weeks of traveling around New York State we are back home in Rochester. At this time I have pecan wood smoking 10 whole heads of garlic. Since our KK can manage a slow smoke we are off to the local Wegman's for some prime Angus strip steaks. We can afford them because our two boys are living in Cleveland and Las Vegas. The smoked garlic will be spread on the beef while it stands awaiting consumption. Southern imported sweet corn will fill out the menu. We just love the KK!

Remember a few posts ago, I did 2 butts for an engagement party? Well, the party was yesterday. The hostess had them bagged in the freezer, and defrosted them and put them in a crock pot to serve.

They were a HIT! Of course. No kidding, the guests sucked down pulled pork sammiches. I watched them! I'd made 3 sauces, and one guest (a chef) kept drooling over the raspberry chipotle. :) The hostess sent him home with pork and raspberry sauce leftovers.

Woo hoo! Etc.

(Nothing for F's day. Dad was going to his in laws' house.)

The steaks with the smoked garlic were great! We were too busy to take images, but, my sister-in-law came over with baked potatoes and fresh picked strawberries including the whipped cream ---- she receives a steak & we put some garlic on the potatoes--- did not think the strawberries would go with garlic. All foods were good and no vampires came around.