Rak

Sourdough bread!

My goal this year has been to learn more about bread baking, so after reading a couple of books and speaking with people, I stepped up my game and made bread using a starter!  

A member from the Guru site sent me some of his dried starter and I've been feeding it for about 2 weeks.  I've made a couple of loaves of bread previously (mostly following Peter Reinhart and Ken Forkish recipes) using dried commercial yeast, however, this was my first attempt using a live starter.  While my shaping and proofing techniques still need much practice, I am very pleased with this!!  For added difficulty, I decided to make the bread in the KK rather than using a dutch oven (as the Forkish recipe called for), this was a huge success, in part because of the baking stone and in part because I added ice, to add steam, when the bread was put on.

Following the instructions, I baked the bread until I got a caramel colour on top.

post-2508-0-79404700-1454967640_thumb.jp

The bubbles aren't as big as I've seen, but I think that had a lot to do my poor attempt at shaping and then I also lost some 'rise' when I moved the dough from the container onto the stone.

post-2508-0-48295000-1454967653_thumb.jp post-2508-0-30258500-1454967663_thumb.jp

This recipe made 2 loafs, instead I made 1 loaf and 5 buns as my wife wanted to make sandwiches with buns later in the week.  Not the prettiest, but they sure taste great.  Next time, I might give them a milk or egg wash for colour.

post-2508-0-60495300-1454967674_thumb.jp

And of course, what do you do when you make bread...you have to eat it!  So here was my lunch today smile.png

post-2508-0-07610400-1454967686_thumb.jp

I agree Tony, it does start some effort to remember to keep feeding them.  

I'm going to make another couple of loaves this week and then I'll keep it in the fridge, so that I only have to feed it once a week.  I might have to set a once a week, repeating alarm so I don't forget!