twharton

Cheap Lump

My wife and I were in New Orleans over the weekend and while walking through the Whole Food Company (organic grocery store) in Uptown New Orleans, which is not known for its low prices, I spotted a natural lump charcoal for sale in 8.8 lb bags for $4.99 I'll include a photo of the bag later.

I'm not sure what the bags of Cowboy Lump weigh but I pay $8 / bag at Wally World. I'll send pics of both this evening and burn some on my RED kettle later this week.

Maybe Naked Whiz could do a review if it's not made by the same folks, just in a different bag.

twharton

Wow, $8 bucks for Cowboy at WallyWorld. We pay around $5 - $6 something here for the 10 lb bags (RoyalOak). Our Walmart only carries Royal Oak (which I prefer) and Lowes, Public and Fresh Market carry Cowboy. One time I looked into getting WickedGood charcoal in and it was not a bad price at all. Might want to give that a looksie ( http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/ ). Oddly enough, it was cheaper shipped from the New England based distribution centers than from the one right here in Georgia - go figure - hehe!

-=Jasen=-

Yeah' date=' $8 a bag for the 8.8 Cowboy is pretty high, our Wally world carries it for 4.99'ish also.[/quote']

It is weird which Walmart's carry what brand. I would have thought them to be more consistent. I know it cannot be a state thing as I live next to the SC border and have shopped in our close SC Walmart's too - they also carry Royal Oak only for the lump. Though I will not complain since I prefer the Royal Oak. My only complaint with them is that they usually do not carry it through the winter months.

-=Jasen=-

same here deej. royal oak at wallyworld; no stock in the winter. my MEE-nards up here carries cowboy and woodchips year round. hickory chunk and chips, WILD CHERRY chips, maple... makes me happy! i like cowboy just fine, but am considering mail-ordering some weekend warrior WGC. if i like it, maybe a pallet, depending on what they want to charge...

30 LBS $11.79 a bag in SA @ Bolners Meats

Sounds like the same stuff that I am getting here (for Curly and Turtle, too) for somewhere between $7 to $9 per 40# bag. For those interested, I will be getting the final price per bag this week, and will also be inquiriing about the wholesale apple and cherry smoke chips, and oak lump as well.

I can get this stuff pretty cheap from the wholesaler, but need to get it in quantity to do so. Anyone who is interested in getting in on the deal let me know. Our first pickup is slated for Thanksgiving weekend.

We currently sell our lump only at our store so don't try to mail order it from me. :)

We sell a 8lb for $3.25 and that includes tax.

The 30lb bag is $10.25 including tax.

I want to see how this burns in a KK before I'll even consider selling it to any of you. The wood we use to make the charcoal is Almond wood. People who use our lump says it burns hotter than Mesquite. Most of the time it doesn't spark much but every now and then it sparks like a 4th of July fireworks. It only sparks when it is catching on fire after that it is calm. We have made Oak Charcoal and compared to Oak this charcoal burns hotter, longer, and less ash. To me it seems to be easy to start but then it is mostly all I have ever used.

1162091233_1161486570_HotStuff.jpg

We currently sell our lump only at our store so don't try to mail order it from me. :)

We sell a 8lb for $3.25 and that includes tax.

The 30lb bag is $10.25 including tax.

I want to see how this burns in a KK before I'll even consider selling it to any of you. The wood we use to make the charcoal is Almond wood. People who use our lump says it burns hotter than Mesquite. Most of the time it doesn't spark much but every now and then it sparks like a 4th of July fireworks. It only sparks when it is catching on fire after that it is calm. We have made Oak Charcoal and compared to Oak this charcoal burns hotter, longer, and less ash. To me it seems to be easy to start but then it is mostly all I have ever used.

1162091233_1161486570_HotStuff.jpg

Dude, you can't just post like that and not be willing to sell us some of your lump...that would just be wrong :(

y'know' date=' you should consider sending some to TNW! he has a huge, very well known, lump database with comparisons, etc. if you compare well on his site, you could sell alot of that stuff![/quote']

Apparently, we'd all have to drive on over to the left sidei and pick it up at the store :?

y'know' date=' you should consider sending some to TNW! he has a huge, very well known, lump database with comparisons, etc. if you compare well on his site, you could sell alot of that stuff![/quote']

Apparently, we'd all have to drive on over to the left sidei and pick it up at the store :?

What ARE you talkin about?? :)

What ARE you talkin about?? :)

You musta missed this small detail Council :oops: If we order it, and we can't mail order it, we gone haveta take a road trip to where it is.

We currently sell our lump only at our store so don't try to mail order it from me.

You musta missed this small detail Council :oops: If we order it, and we can't mail order it, we gone haveta take a road trip to where it is.

We currently sell our lump only at our store so don't try to mail order it from me.

Oooh. Couldn't figger out what you meant, or who it were deeeerected to. :) I told my mother today that she is prematurely blonde. Must be a caught it from her.

Ok here is the scoop on the lump. We have been making it for 15 years but has always been from almond wood. Paso Robles was the almond capital of the world at one time. There was 45,000 acres of almonds planted here at one time. The industry was in decline for many years and finally the drought of the early 90s halted all comercial production. My family sells firewood and the stumps from the almond trees is what we make the charcoal from. Now if I sent a bag to TNW and it was really great I don't think I could meet any kind of large demand. There is a limited supply of almond trees left in this area so if the demand isn't great we will produce lump from it for a long time. If the demand is huge it will all be gone in a much shorter time.

Another problem is my dad was the charcoal maker and he died in July so we have yet to make a batch since then. We intend to keep making it but we need to get organized.

Here is a question for all of you. Can you tell what your meat was cooked on if the lump is made from different types of wood? If you can't then you just want lump that performs the best for you. Now I do have something that might interest some of you as far as wood. I work at a huge winery and add oak staves to our tanks instead of putting our wine into barrels. We throw the staves away after we empty the tanks. Would any of you be interested in wine soaked oak staves for cooking? We throw away tons of this stuff every year. They are about the size of a picket in a picket fence. I can get a picture of some if you like.

Oak Staves

That sounds like a great potential buisness opprotunity for you.

1st test / create a batch

2nd Review...distribute to some of the west coast KK's + Naked Whiz and if all checks out....go.

I mean if they are throwing away tons of it....have them deliver it to you.

I'd love to try it!

twharton

Gulf Breeze, FL