LeadDog

Pre Cooking Pictures...

You know folks we have a winner! :) That is a Coastal Black Tail Deer. They don't get as large as Mule Deer.

I got the saw fixed tonight so no more getting shocked as I cut the meet and a new saw blade was installed. I'm ready to cut up the rest of the deer and a half I have in the freezer.

You know folks we have a winner! :) That is a Coastal Black Tail Deer. They don't get as large as Mule Deer.

I got the saw fixed tonight so no more getting shocked as I cut the meet and a new saw blade was installed. I'm ready to cut up the rest of the deer and a half I have in the freezer.

It's certainly not a corn fed Iowa Whitetail, they are born bigger than that!!

Ok time for part two. Here is a picture of the front half.

PB040454.JPG

Then a picture after I started cutting it apart.

PB040455.JPG

Here is the pile of meat after I was done cutting it all up.

PB040456.JPG

Wandered into my backyard? I live in the country and have a really large backyard. It died of a broken neck, no running into it with a bike. I think that might hurt.

Estimated size? Over 150 pounds but under 175 pounds. It is the almonds that they eat that makes them so fat. I have eaten venison my whole life and can't imagine what life would be like without BBQed deer ribs, yum. :) Beef and pork are only just okay when compared to venison for me.

Well, I have to keep the meat disassociated from the animal. I went for a few years without eating beef or pork after seeing a cattle truck going down the road in front of me where the floor had fallen thourgh and the feet of the cattle were being ground off. That was when I lived in MO and the truck was likely headed to the auction with a trailer load.

As long as I can keep the meat in the case separate from the animal in the field I am fine. :D Steak come from the grocery store, not from chopping up a cow :D

No I don't do road kill. :) The mess a car or truck makes of a deer when it hits one isn't pretty. I guess I would eat the heart if I wanted to go through the trouble of cutting it out. The law prohibits you from picking up deer from along the side of the road or at least it was that way.

...The mess a car or truck makes of a deer when it hits one isn't pretty...

I recently saw a big deer beside the road and the car (with cop car) that hit it so I knew it was pretty fresh. I stopped to have a look cause I was gonna get it after the cop left, but it was a pregnant one and I did not want to deal with that.

Cars can bruise the heck outta the meat, but this one didn't look bad in that way.

hearing FM go on about his "bambi complex" reminds me of the first time i made venison for my kids. did some smothered chops (goooOOODddd!) and, as we were eating, cody (about 5 at the time) clued in that these weren't pork chops and asked "what are these"? i said, "you remember bambi? these are bambi meat." cody paused for a second then said, "you know what, dad? i LIKE bambi!" and continued to polish off 2 chops with gravy!

no complex there. any meat-bearin' critter has the misfortune of encountering a member of my family winds up dinner! of course, i don't hunt but know some hunters :D not that i would mind killing bambi; it's just work, and i don't know how to do it.

actually, i've done a little reading regarding that. cleaning and field dressing the animal, as well as some processing, i might have a VERY general idea of what to do. i'm sure i'd need some practice on the actual manual dexterity of the process.

the actuall WORK in my opinion is getting up at make-believe hours of the morning (i refuse to believe that there is such a time as 4am!), dressing up in camo, and going out to a field to sit in the cold and wet waiting for bambi to show up. not a big thrill. and the whole idea of trophies, with the antlers and whatnot, is pretty foreign to me. you can't eat the horns! only thing i want is the meat, and, with the cost of all the supplies, and work, and licenses and whatnot, i'd rather just know someone who enjoys all of that and has an extra bit of meat to throw my way. some of the farmers out here get extra tags, and kill more than they can eat, specifically to keep the deer out of their corn, and they DONATE the meat.

problem is, i've kinda run out of hunter friends since i changed jobs a couple years ago. gotta get back on that; cultivate some hunter friends!

backstrap, cooked hot and fast and served rare! loin chops done the same, or better, smothered in a cast iron pot! or chili from the shank and leg meat....

shoot, they're so small you could almost do a side!

kabobs made from the loins and backstrap would be good too! season with lots of garlic, onion, sage, and skewer with tomato and bell peppers...

sausages!

maybe treat it like lamb; osso bucco, or a crown roast, if you can cut one off the side there. leave one of the loins with the ribs intact, take out all the meat between the bones and grind it for a meatloaf, then take the crown roast, put it in a circle and plop that meatloaf down in the middle!

just off the top of my head... i'd go with the crown roast!

lamb_crownroast.jpg

Well PorkChop I can't believe the rest of the gang doesn't have any ideas in this area.

I've done kabobs before and they were good. We do have a meat grinder or two around here but I wasn't thinking about grinding up any meat. A guy from work made sausages with wine in them and that was really good. I'm tempted to try that sometime. Here is mostly what we have done my whole life. The ribs get BBQed and the rest gets cut into thin steaks and fried. We make hamburger and jerky out of parts that don't make good steaks. We have always BBQed the ribs cut apart and not as a rack. I wonder about doing them as a rack but I'm unsure about it. There are a couple of areas that I thought would make a nice large piece of meat that could be cooked on the KK, the rounds and the shoulder. I just have never even thought about doing something like that before.

I have done lamb and beef recipes before and that works just fine for venison.

I'll look into the crown roast but I might get in trouble if I start grinding up the chops. :)

Funny think about venison rare, I don't like that way. I like it cooked, it does something to the flavor that is so much better. Now beef is a totally different thing for me, strange.

I'll look into the crown roast but I might get in trouble if I start grinding up the chops. :)

and well you should, sir. don't grind up the chops! picture in your head those nice rib chops, but without the rib bone taken off. like a porkchop on the end of a rib.

rack_of_lamb_Provencale.jpg

now, go back a step, and just dont cut the loins into chops. BUT take out the meat that is between each rib so it looks like the crown roast in my previous post. all that meat you take out from between the ribs; grind it and combine with herbs, spices, bread crumbs and egg, and plop that into the middle of the crown.

basically, what you are looking at is a whole, bone in loin with the rib bones protruding upwards. thats all a crown roast is; a whole loin with the ribs left on. a "rack" of lamb is the same, but not tied and presented like a crown; ususally like below instead...

rack_of_lamb.jpg

rack-of-lamb.jpg

how could someone named PORKCHOP advocate grinding up chops of any kind :smt107