MacKenzie

Smoking Wood

I just went out to the ODK and what do I see but a squirrel sitting on top on my KK. I grabbed a couple of pixs just for fun but when I went too close it jumped down onto the counter.

Squirrel.thumb.jpg.cc9ff1d4ef5a4e838791a24cd8d7d3fa.jpg

5940607951246_SquirrelontheKK.thumb.jpg.189d78d12e32f68f0cce0d63917c76fe.jpg

Then I saw what it was up to. 

59406076bc7b7_LittleStick.thumb.jpg.2ea85cf4e4be8e6c4277dca481f617ed.jpg

It had been chewing on a little piece of smoking wood. This was no surprise as I had seen them before at the dish with smoking wood in it. I picked up the little stick and put it back in the dish. Here is the surprise- the critter jumped back onto the shelf with the dish and picked another one out of it, then jumped onto the shrub just outside the window. 

• Like 5

Speaking of wildlife, I was checking my garden out about 6 AM this morning. Beautiful sunny, windless, quiet time then all of a sudden I heard the rustle of wings and wind directly about my head. 12 geese flew over about 25 feet in the air and only made 1 honking sound. It was beautiful and I have only the recorded memory in my head for proof. ;)

• Like 2

Funny squirrel story and great pic! Was it a fruit wood? 

My wildlife story - I walked out of the backdoor to my garage a week ago (or so) to do some trimming on the bushes. As I opened the door, I heard something rustle in the bushes and out popped a fawn. It was smaller than my dogs (which are only 20 lbs) and full of spots. It was the cutest thing. It scampered around the corner and as I suspected, there was Mommy! They both jump off the retaining wall and into the woods.